Books on France's history

newbiee

I was going to suggest Colin Jones Cambridge History, but I see it is already mentioned on the other link.  Excellent though, and I'd heartily recommend it.

Another one, is Robert Cole: a traveller's history of France (Windrush - 0 9000075 45 7) 1988, which is also excellent but more of a potted version. 

Both of these books have further references to follow up.

Graham Robb is interesting, but I'm only on chapter 2 - it's a solid read, though very readable, there are lots of facts to assimilate, so it's slow progress.

If you want to come more up to date, John Ardagh has written at least one book: France in the new century (my version a Penquin, 0 14 025922 8) 2000, but it might have been updated since.  I've not quite found the time to read that one - yet, but I believe he is considered to be knowledgeable and readable.  It will now have to wait until I have achieved my move to France next month, as it will soon be in a box!

I'm reading the Jean Plaidy French Revolution trilogy which is a pleasant enough way to absorb some of the facts even if they are wrapped up in fiction. Apparently Jean Plaidy was a good researcher and lots of the situations are factual - at this moment Marie Antionette still has her head.......

How dangerous reading 'faction' is I'll leave others to judge......

Graham Robb's biography of Arthur Rimbaud is also a  good read. It's an exciting book, you wonder what Rimbaud is going to get up to next.

It gives a bit of literary history of Paris of 1870s.  Most of the poets  were  out of their heads on absinthe.

Rimbaud  went to live in London for a short time and loved it.

He gave up poetry when he was 21, travelled to Africa, and was a trader, explorer,  gun runner.

• 2 months later...