Inheritance laws

Mr Coeur de Lion

This is a curly one.

Ok, I have a financial agreement between me and the wife that says my French properties will go into my name, and the Australian property going into her name.

The agreement has been drawn up under Australian law (as we were both married in Australia).

I cannot get the properties into my name until we are divorced because it will cost me 7% of the value of properties instead of (only) 3% in a divorce settlement.

I want to draw up a will leaving everything I own to someone else (I'm not planning on dieing, yet but you never know). I have no next of kin apart from my wife of whom I will be divorcing eventually, but I am curious if I got this will drawn up and then snuff it, whether the French government would actually respect my wishes, or make the decision that the will is void.

What does everyone think?

Back to original post.

As was said, get legal advice.

Remember that for non relatives they only get 1570€ tax free and pay 60% on the rest.

Have a little look through that little lot.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/N20090.xhtml

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]60%!!!!!!! The thieving barstewards!!! I knew the inheritance tax laws were grossly unfair here, but I didn't realise they stole that much.

I've never looked into them before now.

Might as well write my will to Sarkozy. That's extortionate.

Next you will be telling me that 60% is payable immediately upon death...[/quote]

Hi,

"I've never looked into them until now"--I'm afraid by not researching your intended country of residence fully , like many others before you, (including at one time myself) you have received a big, and potentially expensive shock.  Unlike in our"anglo-saxon" culture, living "in sin" or" concubinage" as they call it here is not a viable option. If you have a partner to whom you are committed then the only sensible course is to marry , or at least sign a PACS . 

Hi everyone

While we are on the deeath/inheritance subject, can anyone please confirm that as a British resident (widow) with a residence secondaire in France, with 1 daughter and 1 grandson, that death duties would not be levied on the house in France but only in UK.  

I do have 2 adult stepchildren but the property in France was purchased by me some 15 years after their father,s death, so presumably they would not have a claim in France.

Thanks

WendyG

Hi everyone

While we are on the death/inheritance subject, can anyone please confirm that as a British resident (widow) with a residence secondaire in France, with 1 daughter and 1 grandson, that death duties would not be levied on the house in France but only in UK.  

I do have 2 adult stepchildren but the property in France was purchased by me some 15 years after their father,s death, so presumably they would not have a claim in France.

Thanks

WendyG

[quote user="parsnips"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]60%!!!!!!! The thieving barstewards!!! I knew the inheritance tax laws were grossly unfair here, but I didn't realise they stole that much.

I've never looked into them before now.

Might as well write my will to Sarkozy. That's extortionate.

Next you will be telling me that 60% is payable immediately upon death...[/quote]

Hi,

"I've never looked into them until now"--I'm afraid by not researching your intended country of residence fully , like many others before you, (including at one time myself) you have received a big, and potentially expensive shock.  Unlike in our"anglo-saxon" culture, living "in sin" or" concubinage" as they call it here is not a viable option. If you have a partner to whom you are committed then the only sensible course is to marry , or at least sign a PACS . 

[/quote]

I came over here married, and fairly young, so it was never really high priority. Circumstances have changed in my life now.

Long run, I doubt it'll be a problem as no doubt I'll have sold up in France long before I die, but I am so shocked that the rate was so high. Just shocking that they can take so much.