The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

idun

Our local Tesco have had all three books in this series for £5.

I enjoyed all three of these books and have recommended them to lots of people already. At that price, maybe worth getting someone to buy them and send them or just wait for them to get  them to you.

I agree - a real bargain. I too have come across people who did not enjoy the trilogy, but also noticed that some of them had not read the books in the published order - which ruins the narrative.

The three Swedish films are very good, too, Noomi Rapace is superb as Lisbeth. It will be interesting to see how Hollywood manages with its version which has Daniel Craig as Mikael.

As I have said, I didn't read the books in order, the third one second, but it didn't change the fact that I will read them again. So far I don't know anyone who hasn't liked them. I do have a friend who is so busy that she listens to all her books these days and she said that some of it was too hard to listen to and if she had been reading would have skipped bits, which I can understand, as I suspect I do that naturally when things are 'disturbing'.

I think I would like to see the swedish films, but I don't like the look of Mikael in them, but until I see them I won't know. I do think that Danel Craig will look more the part and he too is a good actor.

As a virtual non-reader of fiction I have read the trilogy and enjoyed every minute. The names of all the characters takes a bit of getting used to though.

Sadly the untimely death of the author means no more.

I enjoyed the books, in as much as that the story itself was crackingly good.

I found the writing style a little odd at times, but that could well have been due to the translation, rather than the original text. 

[quote user="Bugsy"]As a virtual non-reader of fiction I have read the trilogy and enjoyed every minute. The names of all the characters takes a bit of getting used to though.

Sadly the untimely death of the author means no more.[/quote]

I am with Bugsy on this one. Also a non reader but enjoyed the books apart from the names! I watched all three films dubbed into American and thought that it ruined them - far better to watch them with English sub-titles.

I loved the books. I understand that some people have found some of the scenes difficult but overall I felt the story was about empowerment rather than straight abuse.

I think it's rare that trilogies can sustain the interest right to the last page of the last book. Larsson certainly accomplished that for me. I read somewhere that he actually planned a series of 10 books and that Lisbeth's sister would appear later in the series. His death interruped his plans.

There is rumoured to be an unpublished fourth book on his girlfriend/ partner's  laptop. As there is a legal dispute between her and Larsson's father & brother over inheritance of royalties this is being held back until the dispute is resolved. A friend of larsson believes that his girlfriend collaborated to a large extent in writing the books. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just started reading the first book - bought all three second hand. I don't want to put it down. Reading a few chapters between putting varnish on the barn doors. OH not too happy cos I've told him he can't read then until I've finished.

There must be something wrong with me - I found the first book hard going & had to read the first 100 pages before I got into it. I was over 'Vangered' & lost who was who! Hubby has just finished no2 & could not put it down - I will not be reading tis one!!

The only book I have ever read that was like plodging in porridge for the first 80 pages was John le Carre's The Little Drummer Girl. If I had not been such a fan of Le Carre I would have given in. Still then it took off and it was the only book I have ever got to the last page and turned straight back to the first page and started again. AND then it all made perfect sense.

So I wouldn't have got to the 100th page, where is the pleasure reading an unknown author,even though many people are going on about it. Well done for perseverance, but I don't think I would have continued.

[quote user="robkat"]There must be something wrong with me - I found the first book hard going & had to read the first 100 pages before I got into it. I was over 'Vangered' & lost who was who! Hubby has just finished no2 & could not put it down - I will not be reading tis one!![/quote]

Nah, not the only one! I thought it was over-hyped and found it hard to get through; I struggled to the end but won't be reading the others. Weirdly unbelievable main character too.

EDIT No idea what's happened to the formatting; never had a problem previously!

I didn't know about the hype, just that a friend had mentioned it.

We don't all have to like the same things and good job we do not.

There have been times in my life when I have read any cack I have been given, , anything at all, because it was 'that' or nothing sometimes there were good books on offer incidentally. And I reckon that I got through them all apart from one.

These days I'm fussier, if I had felt like that, I'd have given up.

[quote user="Babbles"]Captain Corelli's Mandolin........The only book I've never finished just found it impossible[/quote]

Me too! and I don't feel at all drawn to 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' at all. Maybe it's all the hype I've read - not here, I hasten to add!  [:)]

I read it when it first came out in swedish and thoroughly enjoyed it. The swedish title "Men who hate women" perhaps gives a better idea of the underlying theme. This has been suggested due to the influence of Stieg larsson's girl friend who is believed by some of his friends to be the co-author.

I enjoyed the books but only moderately: I liked the plot but I felt he could have done with a good editor.

I also thought the translation came across as laboured and too often it appeared to be sticking as close as possible to the original Swedish rather than choosing an appropriate (but different) English idiom. I don't understand Swedish so I might be wrong: maybe the original text is a bit plodding too.

I found the Henning Mankell books I have read in English to be more plodding than those I have read in Swedish. I suspect that they lose something in translation. Not having read the same book in both languages I cannot be sure if this is the case but it certainly seems so.

If you enjoyed Stieg Larsson, have a go at Jo Nesbo (a Norwegian),  I've read them all and apart from the first (The Redbreast, a bit laboured) they have been really gripping:

Nemesis

The Devil's Star

The Redeemer

The Snowman

and I've just started his latest, The Leopard.

Happy reading!