Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

Sanctimonious - that's a new one!

Lots of others have had problems have they - well I guess there are 2 on this forum - Cathy and JK. Can't think of any others.

As for catering for the lowest common denominator - that made me laugh more than 'sanctimonious'!

Anyway - it was an absolute pleasure to bring the Kindle to your attention CeeJay!

Happy reading.

Sanctimonious-Simon

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S-C-L.

You need to have a root around the Kindle discussion boards on amazon. Not only are there many entries from customers who have bought in UK and moved to France, but there are also plenty of reports of redirection when the Kindle is used outside the UK for more than a handful of orders. It seems to be the wifi use that flags the location from the IP address - the problem does not seem to occur when the 3G signal accesses the server.

Do you not feel that if a substantial number of customers on the Amazon boards (which are frequented by rather more Kindle users than this forum) are having problems that it is wise to inform potential expat customers of the experiences of others?

Blind faith and cognitive dissonance are poor decision-making tools.

JK - you are doing a great job of informing potential expat customers of the experiences of others.

All I'm doing is informing of my experience which is a wholly positive one - that is my sole point of reference. Apart from the thousands of other non-UK based users I know of course. :-)

Crikey I had to look up 'Cognitive Dissonance' - sounds quite nasty:

Cognitive Dissonance is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time.

Simon :-) the Kindle Lover

SS.

Thank you. An example of cognitive dissonance is using the critical faculties to distort or suppress evidence to support a pre-formed hypothesis eg ''Portsmouth are the best football team in the world''. Clearly they aren't so this is an example of cognitive dissonance.

It's a shame that when you recommended Cathy a Wifi Kindle that she was not aware of the problem of .co.uk access (a problem which she has solved). But all's well that ends well.

I think we agree on the Kindle's benefits but I also think it wise to acknowledge the potential access problems of the wifi-only Kindle from France.

JK - point of order - all Kindle's are Wifi. I was extolling the virtues of the Wifi / 3G model which also operates on mobile phone networks. Superb for us mountain folk without the luxury of WiFi. Although - that's probably the reason mine works so well :-). Furthermore I access the internet via a 3G+ dongle so maybe that explains why I have no issues.

Anyway - I'm genuinely pleased that Cathy has resolved her Kindle problems.

Simon :-)

SS - my post altered to ''wifi-only kindle''. Although it's also worth noting that if the wifi/3g Kindle detects a stronger wifi than 3g signal it will default to that.

It would seem that VPN is the way to go if using wifi. Even with a 3g signal, if a user uses a computer to browse and order then the Amazon server will detect the IP address - not a problem if using the Kindle itself but I find it clumsy compared to a PC.

Incidentally, were it not for the restrictive licensing agreements governing the distribution of ebooks in the EU, EFTA and EEA areas there would be no problem. This is out of Amazon's hands as they are governed by the publishing cartel. However, this Net Book Agreement-like practice is under investigation, I understand

Russethouse. I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying is that had he been aware of the wifi access problem he may have chosen to advise differently. Having a more complete picture makes it easier to decide, does it not?

Furthermore, from these discussions I would hope that prospective purchasers will be more fully informed and may choose to investigate through the rather more comprehensive discussion boards on Amazon's website.

[quote user="JK"]Russethouse. I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying is that had he been aware of the wifi access problem he may have chosen to advise differently. Having a more complete picture makes it easier to decide, does it not? Furthermore, from these discussions I would hope that prospective purchasers will be more fully informed and may choose to investigate through the rather more comprehensive discussion boards on Amazon's website.[/quote]

All any of us can do on any subject is give examples from our own experience. That is what Simon did. It's up to others to do their own research as well as reading these threads. It was sad that a few people on here (and others elsewhere) have had problems downloading books in France. Simon expressed his enjoyment of the Kindle, and I and others followed suit with our positive experiences.

Russethouse, hope you have great times with your Kindle!  [:)]

Gardengirl.

Exactly. Which is why it is important to get all the info and not just the experience of one individual.

The message so far is:

1. Get 3g or

2. Use a VPN

3. Use .com (which is a reasonable option as long as you're happy with it).

Don't now why pointing out the problems has provoked such opprobrium.

Not from you GG but it is clear that there are those that view my posts are somehow heretical.

It just seems more useful to highlight the problems people have had and the ways of overcoming them. Why that should cause some to resent this input, I don't know.

You know JK there are lots of things recommended on different forums - for example Gardian recently posted a comment recommending a parcel service he had good experience with - I was interested as I send parcels to the USA and France, but doing my own research showed that they were not the company for me - just because something is recommended here does not absolve one of responsibility - after all just ordering the Kindle it says :

Live Outside the UK?
Kindle is available on Amazon.com for shipment outside the UK
Visit the Kindle international page on Amazon.com

Wouldn't that red flag it ? Or at least highlight the need for more research...?.

It seems to me that Simon has done his very best to help those who have had problems, as have you

Others as well as Simon have been problem free under similar circumstances too, it seems pretty random, so can we just let it drop and refer people to the Amazon Kindle forum

.http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum/ref=sv_kinh_6

Thank goodness I'm UK resident so I wont have a the same problems.[:)]

I must leap to JK's defence.  I spoke to JK on the telephone as he and I have had the same problems with our Kindles in France.  I have sorted out my Kindle with Amazon but not in a straightforward way and I am very lucky.

Simon's posts on the Forum extolling the virtues of the Kindle were part of my thought process in getting one.  I believed what he said that there were no problems buying it in the UK and using it in France.  I should have known better but was preoccupied on other things at the time and should have known better.

I have been rather taken aback at Simon's reaction to JK's comments, bearing in mind that he is only explaining what happened to him (and others like me).  I do think that he should be heard and not shouted down, especially as this is a forum for living and visiting France.  I almost feel that this thread ought to be restarted with a balanced view at the beginning rather than on several pages in.