mobylette

Nicos

We're going to live in France for a 3 month period and I'm reluctant to buy a 2nd car for such a short period of time.

We're in the countryside and it's very hilly, so unless I suddenly get superfit for the bicycle[:-))] I'm going be be pretty cut off whilst my husband is at work.

My thoughts have moved to the idea of a small 50cc contraption which will get me up the hills ( coming down them was never an issue!!!!).

My question is this......

Can I buy a mobylette - or something similar in France and use it with my UK driving licence or do I need to pass a test either here in England  ( or with more difficulty due to language difficulties) in France??

( I'm madly topping up my French language skills on a daily basis - and it's going well)

I only need to pootle to the local village shops and  neighbours for now.

Advice would be very welcome!

I have a friend who used to do exactly this.  An old 50cc mobylette which she got for nearly nothing (or was given it, I don't remember).  Insurance was less than 50 euros I think.  A crash hat is compulsory now (well you would have one anyway I think).

She was well known in her village on her mobylette and it suited her very well.  She is a lady of somewhat generous proportions and you felt that on the steeper inclines you could overtake her at a gentle stroll [Www]

I remember one time seeing her pedaling furiously up and down the road trying to get it started (it was usually very reliable) On closer inspection it seemed that her dog had chewed through the HT lead to the spark plug!

We will look out for you on some of the steeper hills round and about - they could be the limits of a 50cc mobylette! 

Must be very exciting being able to plan a 3 month stay - and with all your animal plans! Wish we could do the same.

Thanks Helen!

Fingers crossed it ends up permanent[:-))]

125cc max with a UK full licence eh??....I could be the next Speedy Gonzalez of the Suisse Normande! ( either that or I'll be seen taking the mobylette for walks up to the village!)[Www]

I think it sounds a great idea (having not passed my bike test years ago after failing to cancel my indicator...[:(]) and very tempting.  I had a Yamaha 125 called Yolanda - she was great, just sad the rider wasn't up to scratch.  But the feeling of freedom, of not being cooped up in a tin box on wheels is wonderful.

Pierre, I love your description of the generously proportioned dame and her 50cc....  it made me giggle !