Steve & Bud liked it

just john

I guess it is aimed at the baby boomers or people associated with them who recognise the fun of that period;
like the classic market but with a new build quality and not so complex and electronic that it can't be built or fixed at home;
like a caterham or mustang, not short of fun without the need for a laptop and manufacturers plugs and software to tweak it.[8-|]

Where will those current electronic machines be in a few years time?, a friend who runs a licensed Auto Recycling Centre (scrapyard) says generally they are 'weighing in' cars and bikes 2000 on (for their metal weight), while breaking earlier machinery for parts .[Www] 

The Metisse was probably the first of many marques built in the Uk in the mid-late sixties mainly for the road racing fraternity because the Honda’s and Yamaha’s racing chassis were made of rubber.Mike Halwood had a chassis built, but don’t quote me on this , by Don Rickman (Metisse) for his 500 six. Who still build the best chassis now for both sidecar and solo road racing ? The British.

Don and his brother Derek Rickman started off riding scrambles, now called Motocross, during the 50s and 60s.  I did see them ride at the Canada Heights track near Swanley in Kent during the 60s along with other riders like Dave Bickers and Jeff Smith.  During the 1960s scrambles became very popular on TV when other sports, literally, became bogged down in the bad winter weather and scrambling was one of the few sports that looked even more spectacular in the mud.  Later on Graham Noyce and Dave Thorpe became World Champions in the 500cc class.

I was also lucky enough to see Mike Hailwood ride his 250cc Honda 6 at Brands Hatch, where he lapped the rest of the riders.  I don't know which was more spectacular, Hailwood's riding or the sound of the bike.

More info on the Rickmans, if anyone is interested, found here.   http://motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=395

A Blunder, I said that I thought Metisse built a chassis for Mike the Bike’s Honda six, not true, it was actually Rob North who built the chassis for his Honda six and for all the works BSA and Triumph 3s for the Trasatlantic series.Rob is still building the replica 3s from his place in Calafornia.As for the best handling bike of that ilk, it has to be the Norton Feather bed.