Goldwings.Bikes that is.

Gastines

Actually, we have a Goldwing rider in our group, although I haven't seen him for a while. He's a thoroughly nice bloke and manages to keep up a really high pace, seemingly quite effortlessly! [8-|]

Sid

Well I have had two Gold Wings, and a Ducati, a FZR1000 ExupR, etc etc, so I disagree, a bit, Wing riders can be bikers. The GL1800s are a tad over the top, unless your doing starship Enterprise mileages, then why not!!??

Mine were a GL1000KZ (with the extra dials in the tank top) and a 1200 Aspencade, brought to do the "European tour", for which it was perfect, when I got home, it got sold and was replaced by a GSX1100!!

Would I have another Wing, only if there was space in the garage (and change in the wallet) to have it, and three other bikes!

We have just been up to Cora's car-park,only 3minutes from Les Gastines, over 1100 Goldwings of all shapes and sizes. Very good  friendly crowd from all over France/Monaco/Andorra and the U.K.  Bikers or not they all seem to be having a very good time and are going to have a good bash tonight by the look of the set-up for food and music. We may have to buy one. Mrs Gastines has said she will have lessons to ride; sorry,DRIVE, the lovely looking thing. I can sit behind and wave at the admiring onlookers but I may settle for the 3 wheeler job.Several of the front double wheel Spyders up there as well. A good time being had by all.

By the way .Bikers, Mrs Gastines did have a HGV 1 so there!!!

Regards.

I have the light weight Goldwin - as they call them in France - a Valkyrie - stonkin torquey engine, only superceeded by the Rocket 3.

I went from a Ducati 888 SP4 to the Valk and it is chalk and cheese - yet a hilarious bike - all my mates with sportsbikes want to ride it.

If you want a horizontally opposed engine it cannot be beaten for smoothness. Six appeal.

Also great for a pillion they don't even touch the ride.

Bit thirsty though if you cane it and front tyres don't last long.

Personally I use one of the other bikes in the barn for ploughing fields; KTM 520, Honda CRF 450, XR400 or the CRM 250 or for small field the CZ 175 - if you can find knobblies for a Valk please let me know.

What bike do you have that can plough?

What torque does your bike have?

[quote user="Dog"]

Personally I use one of the other bikes in the barn for ploughing fields; KTM 520, Honda CRF 450, XR400 or the CRM 250 or for small field the CZ 175 - if you can find knobblies for a Valk please let me know.

What bike do you have that can plough?

What torque does your bike have?

[/quote]

I can't find a piccie of my Quad which is a shame but I am in UK at the mo but we could try pulling a very small plough with it...The trailer is my old commercial oil tank!

Dunno what power my XT660 Is I guess about 50 ish

My Fazer is 86 maybe a bit more with the KN and micron.

The think is between A and B  over say 10 miles, the little fazer would crucify any goldwing if there is more than three corners! So all this talk of  torque is simply that...torque! let's see your piccies of your fleet of bikes then?

Big Mac do you know the difference between torque and bhp?

You have obviously never ridden a six or you would realise it would swallow a Fazer especially on twisties and even more easily in the wet. Two up the Fazer would be dead in the woods.

To save you the trouble - the Yamaha XT660 has 44 ft.lbs, Yamaha Fazer 600 45 ft.lbs both rather puny when compared to the Honda Goldwing 1800 with 105 ft.lbs and the latest 200 has 157 ft.lbs.

What started out as a bit of good-natured banter (or so I thought) has turned into a "my bike is better than your bike" argument. [:(]

Now I have to spring to the defence of the 'Wings, because if it was our "Bald Eagle" on his his 'Wing I think he'd win. BUT any contest is more about the RIDER than the bike, so a slow rider on a Fazer (or me on my VFR !!) could be beaten by a FAST rider on a Goldwing! Obvious, innit? [geek]

Two-wheel riders should stick together!

Sid

I like a bike with plenty of torque... it helps me when I've got things wrong and have ended up in too high a gear.  I don't have anything as torquy as a "wing" but the 72 ft lbs (I think) of my 1150GS do me just nicely and chugs away without a hiccup.

I'd like a "go" on a Valkerie though.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Mac do you know the difference between torque and bhp?

Course I do ..

Torque is what you need for ploughing a field (Handling optional)

Judicious application of BHP is what's required for reducing lardy old buses in the wing mirrors!

Power to weight ratio could be described as....Wing has all the power Fazer waits for it to catch up....innit? ;-)

As for 6 cylinders great for smoothness albeit greater internal friction and weight and yes I have driven a Wing I think it was an Aspencade (in retirement home beige metallic, albeit an old W Reg thing) I liken it to driving a transit van..... does the job.... carries a lot of stuff but ultimately little fun in it.

Each to their own but suggesting its a quick way from A to B or that in any circumstances a wing will corner quicker than a Fazer is clearly a flight of fancy or maybe just winging it!..

Latest performance mod apparently is heavy gauge chrome castors under the side boxes......

Courtousy of visordown...

Valkyrie 1832cc, 110bhp, weight 349kg, top speed 115mph

Yamaha FZS 600, 599cc,  95bhp,  weight 189kg, top speed 135mph.

I think the FZS Figure quoted is incorrect as I seem to recall 89bhp. but I consider the point made nonetheless

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Each to their own but suggesting its a quick way from A to B......

[/quote]

Our "bald-eagle" does an annual trip down to Alicante on his 'Wing, and he does the journey faster than I can do it in the car. I'd hate to try it on a bike in a hurry, and besides I'd be stopping every 150 miles to fill up!! [:)] 

So it all depends on the A to B.

Too many variables! [geek]

Sid