Travel cases

Gyro

Anyone have experience with panniers as in, which brand to go for?

I would like do travel around camping etc but don't want to carry them around day to day.

I saw the canvas saddle bags but I imagine someone could do a legger with your stuff fairly easily.

I have been camping and motorcycling in France for over 30 years. Never had anything stolen.

Buy soft luggage it's cheaper - go without as much as possible - just a change of pants, a pair of shorts a tent and a sleeping bag.

Have fun.

I've got Touratech Zegas (ali) on my beemer.  Very pleased with them. Need inner bags though to prevent discolouration from the ali.

I've got padlocks on mine but you can get them with built in locks.

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/DerekJordan/BMW%20R1150GS/gs3.jpg[/IMG]

For my VFR I have Givi panniers and top box with the Monokey system (one key operates all locks) and they lock to the bike. They are also very weatherproof (although apparently not guaranteed to be rain-tight). Before our move to France we rode from UK to northern Spain in absolutely rotten wet weather but the contents were bone dry!

Sid

I've got both hard and soft panniers though to be honest I prefer to use a tail-pack and a tank-bag. You can easily get enough kit in for a few days away and you have no problems with being too wide for overtakes and filtering.

I think I'll go for the soft lugage option it sounds like it would suit me better.

Also with a tail pack can you still carry a passanger or are you restricted as you wouldn't have the bracket on the back to attach your top case.

M and P, (UK) currently have offers (up to 50%)on Oxford make soft luggage, Tank Bags, Throwovers, and tail/seat packs. I'm very pleased with mine, and they do Worldwide delivery.

Not connected with M and P, just a happy user even if I know some of the boys as I live just down the road.

Aitch

I'd say 'horses for courses'...

Used to have soft luggage - expandable, roomy, no brackets on the bike but always worried about (but never experienced) theft, needing extra covers in bad weather and fiddly to fit properly.

Now have hard panniers (on BMW) - not as roomy or adaptable, bracketry always on bike (but inconspicuos on Beemers), but almost completely waterproof and very quick to fit even just for a quick trip to the shops.

On balance, for my particular use, the hard stuff, but able to appreciate the virtues of soft luggage.