I've treated myself to a new camera

Bugsy

[quote user="John Bradley"]I haven't gone down this route because I was told the autofocus wouldn't work. I shall definitely be looking into this further. I have only been using a 50mm prime lens for some time, but it would be good to have some more in the bag. Current generation high-end lens are very expensive. If the old ones work, that could be very good news indeed.[/quote]

If I were you I would look around the second hand camera shops till you find one you need (or would like), take your camera 'body' in and ask if you can try the lens. If it works then look out for it on EBay. Not having autofocus anyway is not such a big deal unless taking photos of very fast objects. You should have a button on the body that closes the iris so you can test for depth of field whilst looking through the lens. If you have good depth of field then a slight inaccuracy of focus (like you are focused on something just in front) will not be a major problem.

True. Although I often like to use a very shallow depth of field and that doesn't work with autofocus either, because, for example if you photographing a person, the nose or the hair might be in focus, but the eyes not. So manual focus is required in these situations anyway.

Old canon SLR lenses have a red spot to allow them to align with the body. The new digital cameras have a white spot to help you align with the body. The canon has two mounts in one so you can use either lens without buying a conversion ring. I was talking about canon as I don't have any other make of camera. How yours works I have no idea. I have been told in the past that some lenses from other makes of camera can mechanically fit a different make of camera but the electronics are wrong and can cause damage to both lens and camera. How true this is I do not know as I have never tried and don't intend to.

Q,

Seek and ye shall find. There is more to this, but I didn't want to bore you.

Question:
I’ve been using Olympus SLR equipment in the OM-System for years and have accumulated a large collection of Olympus lenses and accessories. Can I use them on my Olympus digital camera?

Answer:
Olympus OM-System lenses and lens accessories can be used on Olympus E-System DSLR and PEN digital cameras when mounted with the appropriate adapters. To mount OM-mount products to an Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR, you will need to use an MF-1 OM Adapter, which can be purchased by clicking here. To mount OM-mount products on PEN Micro Four Thirds cameras, you will need to use the MF-2 OM Adapter which can be purchased by clicking here. Four Thirds mount lenses can be used on Pen cameras using the MMF-2 Adapter, which can be purchased by clicking here. Micro Four Thirds PEN lenses cannot be used on E-System DSLRs.

Also seek and ye shall find. While looking around, I found that I also have an Olympus 50mm Macro lens.

David

• 2 months later...
The degree of backwards compatibility of older lenses and modern camera bodies varies between manufacturers.  All the information on compatibility is out there, a quick search will come up with with the answers.  It can be a little complicated and require an adaptor or two.  Canon for changed their lens mount in 1987 and so lenses older than that cannot be used on modern bodies.  Other manufacturers have greater degrees of compatibility.  It's certainly something to be aware of when choosing a camera system as many old lenses are excellent and can represent better value than modern equivalents.  The degree of automation, autofocus, metering, aperture control and recording of exif data will of course vary with the age of the lens.  Some can be used only as a fully manual lens but actually that can be very satisfying, you can get split prism focus screens fitted to a modern dslr.

I chose Pentax in large part due to the fact that any lens ever manufactured for Pentax can be used on a modern dslr.  The basic lens mount hasn't changed since 1975.  Prior to then a simple adaptor allows older screwmounted lenses dating back to the 1950's to be used.  I have picked up quite a few bargains, superbly crafted metal lenses built to last a lifetime and I often prefer them to modern equivalents.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="sid"]

So you were hoping to use your old lenses... how?  [8-)]

[/quote]

He can't because it is an OM1. Those lenses are unique but do fit an OM2 after which they changed to the 'red spot' lenses. This is because the shutter is in the lens on the OM1 and 2.

Having a digital camera with an 8mp or bigger 'lens' is not much good if the size of the sensor is small like in a mobile phone for instance. You will notice the difference when you start printing photo's above A4 or zooming in and then 'blowing up'. Actually the OM1 was way ahead if it's time and you may find many professional photographers still have one or two around today that they use. Unless you go up to something like a Hasselblad 35mm film is often better than any digital camera although in comparison to digital photo's it's just complicated to use these days what with developing etc.

[/quote]

Q

That's very interesting but tell me how did Olympus manage to fit a focal plane shutter into a lens ??????

As for 35mm being often better than any digital camera it depends on what you mean "better".But then I'm only a simple photographer so what do I know.