Making a table from an oak tree trunk

David

We have a fallen oak tree with a trunk of about 1.5 metres diameter.  We hope to get a tree expert to slice up the trunk for us, as well as dealing with two other large oak trees.

As well as slicing up the trunk into 45 to 50 centimetre lengths for firewood, we had thought about slicing part of the trunk across the grain into 8 to 10 centimetre lengths to make table tops.

Question 1.  If this can be done, we would eventually like to coat the wood with some finish such as what we knew in the UK as Sikkens, in order to preserve the visual appearance of the timber.  Should we leave the sliced lengths to dry out before treatment, and if so for how long?

Question 2.  Once the wood is ready for treatment, what would be the best treatment to apply?  Should we apply any treatment at all?

Question 3.  Any ideas for table legs?

Thanks,

David

You need some answers from the serious woodworkers, but from the little I know:

Do you plan to use the section through the trunk as a table top in the round - that is following the cross-section (across the grain, as you say), or do you mean to have it cut into boards which you can then join to make rectangular tops? I don't understand the 8-10cm lengths, as these would be about the size of matchboxes, no? Do you plan to make a sort of butcher's block with small pieces of timber, rather like a parquet floor?

If you cut rounds then you are almost certain to have splits in the wood as it dries - and yes, you will need to dry it to some extent.

I thought Sikkens was a wood stain, not a finish - but the finish would be up to you and also depend on the final use of the table. If in a damp environment a varnish might be more practical, but an oil or wax finish would look more natural and warmer.

Table legs - is this a coffee table or a dining table? I suggest you do a Google search on woodworking plans which should give you some ideas, or visit Norm Abraham's New Yankee Workshop website

You can get ideas, buy plans etc. from there.

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your reply.

We had thought to simply cut the trunk across the grain, or in the round.  Thus when I said 8 to 10 cm lengths, I was thinking of lengths along the trunk.

Once this was cut, the slice of trunk would be turned 90 degrees and become a table top 8 to 10 cms thick.

No builders blocks, no butchers blocks, no parquet flooring, just a simple slice taken transversely across the fallen trunk.  Thus we would end up with a slice of oak about 8 to 10 cms thick, round, and when turned over would make a roundish table top.

No cutting and splicing.

We plan to leave the resulting table outside on the terrace in the garden all year, for dining, coffee, and aperitifs.  We thought it could replace the plastic tables which take off in any sort of wind. We thought that Sikkens was a microporous type of finish which would protect the wood, but allow the wood to breathe or dry out, very definately not a stain.  We thought a varnish or paint which seals wood would not allow the wood to dry out.

Hope this helps,

David

I see what you mean. I think you will still get some checks in the wood as it seasons - though Chris can tell you more about that. You could oil the wood, but would need to do that on a regular basis, or use an exterior grade varnish. It shouldn't seal the wood - but it won't 'breathe' - it's dead! For legs, I would simply make up short lengths of squared timber and mortice and tenon them into the rounds.

It certainly won't take off in a high wind...

The 'transverse' slice you're thinking of David would be alot better than a 90 degree crosscut, I think 35 degree is the optimum angle from memory....but the tree sounds like a beastie, that's onehelluva bar length needed on a chainsaw.

You've got so many options here that I could go on & on! If the butt end is that big why not think about having a one piece bench/'settee' cut/carved out of it? OK it would be enormously heavy but it would last generations. What about having the trees planked in situ....and then using the converted timber to make or have made what you want? It's great you're thinking about something to do with the tree other than burn it all.

This is a project I completed a few months ago for a client who had downed trees....we used a mobile sawmill. The timber (Oak) was all green, joined, then lightly 'carved' to soften the hard edges down.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC00982.jpg[/IMG]

The whole thing was then sanded with a 40 grit flap disc.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC00986.jpg[/IMG]

After delivery it was coated with two coats of LASURE, an oil based product which contains anti fungicide and anti UV agents which should keep it in near original condition for quite a while. I think recoating is every 3 - 4 years.

This is just one idea David....anything goes, be creative!

Chris & Dick,

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

When I said transverse, I had thought of a simple 90 degree cross cut.  However, a 35 degree angle sounds much better, and would produce an oval table top.

The trunk seems very sound, and it would be a pity to use it only for firewood.  I don't suppose you live anywhere close to Bressuire in North Deux Sevres Chris?  We have one large oak tree fallen, we intend to fell another large oak which looks sick, and we have a third large oak which we have differing opinions on.  Some say to fell it soonest, before winter, others say to trim it to about half size.  Whatever, there is a lot of good oak in the third tree which must be cut.

We have thought about selling it for furniture or oak barrels, but we are told that this would not be commercial.  Thus chop it up for firewood.

I could take photos of the trunk and trees, but I have not managed to solve the problem of posting photos on this forum.

Many thanks,

David

Meg...I was dancing...that was the Husky shuffle, please don't encourage me!

I'm not too far from you David and must admit I'm tempted but I just don't have any time at the mo.  Why don't you just sit on the timber, relax and think some more? It's not going to rot in a hurry! To burn it would be a crime.

I'd dearly love to see pictures if you can work it out David, using photobucket is not too complicated.

Hi Chris,

Please bear with me while I explain our position.

I agree with you that to burn the wood would be a crime, and that is why I am on the forum about it.  I am trying to think of something constructive to do with the wood.  However, unfortunately it is a little urgent.  I know that the wood will not rot quickly, but we are waiting for devis for cutting the trunk up into 45 to 50 cm lengths, plus felling the second tree and cutting that trunk up, and also plus severely trimming, or felling the third tree.  We have had difficulty in fnding tree fellers (or surgeons?), and it seems that they will only contemplate coming to us if they get all the work on all three trees.

As the second tree looks rather unhealthy, we are worried that this tree might also fall, causing damage, so we are approaching all work as a matter of urgency.  We have also been told that the third tree is unsafe.  If that one falls it will take out the bedroom and living room of the house, plus the electricity lines.  Others have told us that it has many years of life left.  By many they say 2 to 5 years, which in the life of an oak is not a lot.  They also say that it may fall in the next "tempest".  As we are not tree experts, we must plan for the worst, and trim or fell both the second and third trees as soon as possible, and before the autumn gales, and that means contracting to cut up the trunk of the first tree at the same time.  We are trying to do this soonest, but being France we have no idea how long it may take for the trees to be felled.  At least we can prove to the insurance company that we have tried if the third tree falls and demolishes the house.  We must just hope that if any tree falls nobody is hurt.

It seems that all three trees may have the same disease or infection which caused the first tree to fall in a mild wind.  We were very lucky, and the first tree fell in an ideal spot, with no damage.  However, I had been working under it the day before, and my children had been working under it 5 days before it fell.  Thus we will undertake all the work immediately we have the agreement of a tree surgeon.

I have corresponded with Trescoletto (?) and she has kindly offered to post the photos for me.  As a pennance I have to learn how to do it after I have sorted out whether or not I have surgery in the UK in November (on me not the trees).

If I do have surgery in November in the UK, then I doubt that I will be taking much interest in oak trees for a couple of months.  Thus I am trying to sort this out quickly.  If all else fails, I will tell the tree cutters to chop the lot up for firewood.

Tomorrow I will take some photos, and then ask Trescoletto to post them for me.

Hope this makes sense,

David

Thanks for your honesty David. I'm sorry that this is a source of stress for you, you're health come first. Having years of experience as a tree surgeon and forester I can assure you that it's not life or death that you get it sorted yesterday. Rushing yourself into a solution forces you into a position of making decisions that might not perhaps be the right ones. Rightfully so the contractors who you are asking for opinions and devis from are competing for your business... from my perspective, to have lovely old trees cut for firewood gives me a headache.

I'll try and find time to come and see you in the next few weeks but will contact you via PM to discuss it in closer detail. 

Kind regards

Many thanks for your kind message Chris.

We are rather worried when we look up at the large tree over the house, knowing that another tree fell down without warning.

I do agree that having lovely old trees cut up for firewood gives me a headache also.

Kind regards,

David