Cor!

Gluestick

Just finished hanging a pair of barn doors, the client 'lasured' them themselves, I'm almost too embarrassed to show the picture....what were they thinking of?

A sled would be a great project, apart from the bending of the front runners, I wouldn't have a clue where to even start, steam bending is one of those things that would be such a great skill to have.

So did anyone make any presents this year? My clock project didn't work out. Time and design wise.

[quote user="Wozza"][quote user="Chris Head"]

My clock project didn't work out. Time and design wise.

[/quote]

Chris

I assume the design was OK - you just ran out of time?

Warren

[/quote]

Don't rise to that one Chris, it's just a 'wind up'?

I made sone presents for some of our friends. Very simple, egg cups with their names pyro'd on them. Turned from French box that I collected on holidays about 10 years ago, lovely wood to turn. One is a knutter, so he has a double egg cup, but it's not yer standard design and it may need some refining. There is a cup at each end and I have to find out how you stand the thing up when both eggs are in situe. But as he is ex-Navy Fleet Air Arm and used to fly and land on carriers he is probably too daft to notice! Anyone who flies for a living has to have something wrong and to land on carriers, well???

Some other friends have just moved into their new house, just built, and I have done a 10 inch elm bowl with a pyro'd message on the underside for hem. I had to fight Frances for it though, she said it was too nice to leave the house...

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Malcombsbowl.jpg[/IMG]

Other than that we have been trying to get over colds and me trying to stop my bleeding nose every time I blow it. No not Frances giving it a blow!!

The clock carving is much smaller than I'm used to, my babies were too aggressive so it all has to be done by chisel & Dremel but there have been a few work deadlines that took priority.

Time and motion? Sounds uncomfortably like life used to be in Englandshire!

That's a beautiful bowl Jonz, you got much more of that there Elm?

You want a bloody nose you should borrow my username for a day or two and keep the tissues handy![:D]

Snow's announced here for next week, maybe those runners could be laminated?

[quote user="Chris Head"]

That's a beautiful bowl Jonz, you got much more of that there Elm?

Snow's announced here for next week, maybe those runners could be laminated?

[/quote]

Thank you,  do love turning and the results.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot more of the elm, or the other wood that I bought over. Some good spalted beech though. That was rescued from my neighbour's log pile and I found out today that one of out friends have been burning OLIVE wood!!!!!!![:-))][:-))]. I htink that I have convinced him to let me have a look at it before he burns anymore!

Bending wood for laminating. Fill bath with water, warm's good. Leave laminate strips to soak for 24 hours. Make jig to a little sharper than the curve you want. place half of the wet strips into the jig, fiddeling them into postion so as to be flat and leave to dry... Repeat for the other runner, or build 2 jigs if you are impatient.

3mm (1/8 inch in proper measuringments) would be better than 4 'cause it will bend easier. Use polyeurothane glue (spelling?) to stick the laminates and put them back in the jig. Put some polly sheet under the laminates or you will have a sled with the jig on each side and it won't be so efficient.

Failing that if you want a simple sled. Get 2 lumps of  1" x 8" pine the length you want the sled. Cut a curve at the front end of both. Screw a metal strip/runner to the under side and curve of both. Join them together with a seat and enjoy. Oh yes, put a bit of string/cord/rope across the front so you have something to hold on to when you are totally out of control. It doesn't do anything for the control, but it might make you feel a bit more secure!!![:D]