Best product for treating wood terrace

clevisgirl

Hi we have a mobile home close to the Spanish border which has a very large terrace.

The wood is badly needs of treating. I have noticed that because of the heat wood dries out very quickly. Another problem with this terrace is varnish which was painted on by the previous owners.

We intend to remove as much as we can of the old varnish and repaint but there are so many products on the market I wondered if anyone had any advice to offer.

Unless its the best thing for the wood I don't particularly want to use a varnish based product

thanks

clevisgirl

• 3 weeks later...

We have a wooden deck in Leucate, and as you say it dries out very quickly.  Ours was newly laid, so we did not have to remove varnish.

We were strongly recommended by the neighbours to use a mixture of linseed oil to treat the wood, and we found this to be very successful.

We are presently in northern France, so I cannot check the mixture requirements, but perhaps other posters can help.

We bought a 5 litre can of linseed oil from a DIY store such as Mr. Bricolage or Super U, together with a small bottle of activator (or dryer accellerator) together with a 5 litre can of what I remember as white spirit (but please check).  The full instructions were on the can of linseed oil.  We mixed the linseed oil and white spirit 50/50 together with a small amount of activator and splashed it on the terrace.  The initial treatment was two coats, and this is supposed to be repeated with one coat once or twice per season.

We found the results to be excellent, the application easy, and the mixture was remarkably cheap.  This seems to be the favoured method of protecting wood terraces in the Perpignon region, and any bricolage store will help with the required ingredients.

David

hi

ok see some one else has found the mix

ok dave`s mix 1 ltre of linseed oil, 1 ltre of pure turpintine ( not turps subs ) and one tablespoon full of secatiff sans plomb .

you will get this/http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?action=view&current=PDR_0092.jpg

dave

I don't disbelieve you Dave, I'm just wondering how exterior timber treated with oils that don't contain UV inhibitors don't grey up? Is the door in prolonged exposure to the sun or is it shaded? I've a chair outside that had three coats of oil three years ago and has greyed, I've always accepted that oil alone won't stop timber greying, that's cool I prefer that look.

I'll experiment this summer, remind me in the Autumn to post results.

Our terrace on the Med coast is exposed to full sun, and is now in its third year.  It still looks like new, and has not greyed up.

We gave it two coats of linseed oil at the beginning, and then each year one coat at the start of the summer, and another at the finish ready for the winter.

Other neighbours treated terraces still look good, and they say that the second coat is not really needed.

Because of the ease of application of the linseed oil, applying a coat is very easy - just splash it on with a paint brush, rather like creosote or wood fencing panel stains, and wait one day before using.

Untreated terraces nearby have all greyed up, and are showing signs of splitting.

Perhaps the secret of linseed oil is repeated applications?

David