Help tlc for oak beams

Poppy

Can someone please help me to look after my oak beams. About eight years ago we had new oak beams in the downstairs ceilings and just treated them with an all singing clear liquid.Is there anything else I should be doing, they do look a bit neglected [:'(]

We are now having new oak roof beams and I was wondering what is the best way to finish them. [8-)]

Sorry another question,does bois exotique crack less than oak?

[quote user="Poppy"] Can someone please help me to look after my oak beams. About eight years ago we had new oak beams in the downstairs ceilings and just treated them with an all singing clear liquid.Is there anything else I should be doing, they do look a bit neglected [:'(]

[/quote]

Mine do too, Poppy. I've wiped over a little patch with a damp cloth and it's just dust really.

Now I'll have to do the lot.[:)] If someone has a better Idea than a damp cloth I'll listen.

What was yer clear liquid Poppy?

Hi Tresco, at least they won't get dry rot [6]??!

I would think that a coat of linseed oil would not go amiss, though I'm not sure if boiled or natural linseed would be better. Chris H would be the guy for that one, where are you Chris?

Neglected the post, my sincerest apologies Poppy.

So what is going on that you're not happy with?

I really hope your new roof trusses crack up, they'll look a treat in the future! They don't need preserving, they'll just get better with age, leave them be and love them!

Thanks for the reply Chris. The first floor oak beams have started to crack and have water marks on them so I was beginning to think I had neglected them. I did spend hours sanding them down before we put them up.

Really looking forward to getting the new roof trusses with a posh A frame in the middle. Our one big expense so do want to do right by them. We did treat the first floor with Xylophene or something similar, is this not necessary?

Wish I didn't need preserving and got better with age [:D]

Thanks Chris, flattery will get you everywhere [:D]  . I think the problem is that I do think young, and won't grow old gracefully [6]

Many thanks for info on the beams will just leave the new ones well alone.

The floor was finished by putting down plasterboard, insulation and at the minute chipboard which was meant to be temporary 8 years ago. Once the roof  has been replaced the chipboard will also be replaced. Not sure what with at the minute, we want to put the electric heating mat underneath so don't know whether oak floorboards will like that.

We waxed ours, after a light sanding - these were new oak, left to season in situ for a couple of years first. Look fine (you've seen the pics, but if not, here they are)

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/DSC_0018.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/DSC_0020.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/DSC_0022.jpg[/IMG]

Loved the room above.

Bois Exotique is the French generic for Hardwoods sourced from South America Africa or the Far East. Teak Ramin etc. they have there own individual characteristics. I am waiting for my own oak to season but if I could source good seasoned oak I would use it.

Wotz wrong wth Ikky-yukky kitchens?[8-)]

Ours isn't. It has got nice re-enforced concrete, tiled worktops and painted oak doors. I know it's re-enforced, because I had to fit a slightly larger sink a couple of weeks back. Angle grinder in the kitchen, good game, good game??[:-))]