making kitchen cabinet doors

Dc

Hi DC

Twice in a week my area of knowledge can come in handy! (26 years in the kitchen industry)

If you are on a budget use mfc board cut to size & re-edge. The board must me minimum 18mm thick up to a maximum of 22mm, this is to allow for the hinges.

If you have a little more money, use MDF & router to size. Once again note the thickness.

I would not use ply as it will give the appearance of a home made door & the edges will not finish very nice. The ply will also be prone to warp.

Hope this helps

Marc

hi ok

really depends on what equipment you have i.e. routers, table saw ,planner etc etc . for a cheap way out with just a saw just buy some t&g for shutters  and brace it , or pine floor boards ??

this one I done for the gite is just pine floor boards ,chevrons and floor joists for the work top

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0001.jpg[/IMG]

dave

[quote user="Dc"]

Hi,

Can anybody  help, I want to make some simple kitchen cabinet doors of varying sizes. How should I do it, what wood should I be using and where do I get it from? Any help greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

[/quote]

I have just purchased , off the shelf, solid oak kitchen doors from B&Q at £35.00 each. They are beautifully finished. 3,4,5,6 hundred wide. You could not make this quality yourself at that price!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I thought mdf had been banned.

Ply does not warp in kitchens owing to the cross grain.

[/quote]

Hi Woolybanana

I can only quote from the years experience & from examples seen in the past. If it is very thick & flooring grade then no it will not, but that grade will not make for a decent finish. Anyway, it is all ideas & opinions, I have seen many a "Home Made" kitchen far better than some which have cost thousands, but then again I have seen some bad ones.

Marc

Thanks for all replies. My problem is both width and height, and I do not have all the tools to do a really good job. The real problem is I've found is sourcing the materials, the wife wants more of a sapin nord (white) colour, it needs to be double faced any ideas.

regards

dc

That would probably cost 10 times more than buying the blasted things in the first place. Plus more expendature on heating, who would warm the bed??[6]

Dave I like your doors, etc. I made all the doors in our Cotswold stone cottage in the Cotswolds (where else?) from floor boards and they turned out great! How dod you get on with the different size toung & groove between the match board and the floor boards, or did you cut that off and do your own?

[quote user="LEO"][quote user="Dc"]

Hi,

Can anybody  help, I want to make some simple kitchen cabinet doors of varying sizes. How should I do it, what wood should I be using and where do I get it from? Any help greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

[/quote]

I have just purchased , off the shelf, solid oak kitchen doors from B&Q at £35.00 each. They are beautifully finished. 3,4,5,6 hundred wide. You could not make this quality yourself at that price!

[/quote]

Hi ok

going to try and answer 2 questions here

first B&Q doors £35 each ..... I spent less than that for the whole kitchen !!!!

the post was for cheap .......

ok the doors were made from hard pine floor boards , I just planed off the groves at the back ( the antiwarp ones )but kept the t&g  and to get them down to 19mm thick (3/4 ") . then just router a grove in the frame and a tounge in the door to make floating fit

hope this makes sence, got some pics somewhere  will put them here if you want in the woodwork section

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/

oh and if the OH wants white pine use what I said t&g for window/ door shutters  

dave