knotting

Rez

• 3 weeks later...

French polish is a kind of "vernis à l'alcool" or "Vernis au tampon" to be more specific. French polisher is "vernisseur au tampon"and shellac is "gomme laque" Just to make things absolutely clear, french polish is sometimes called "Tampon Anglais"

Everyone follow!?

I dread to think what an English french polisher is referred to and what they use!

how about here for some shellac varnish

Danny

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Gluestick"]

It's only normally Shellac Varnish: of if you like, French Polish.

Surely one can purchase French Polish in well,.............. France?

[:D]

[/quote]

Peut etra par? You can't get French mustard! You know, that lovely brownish stuff that tastes like anything but mustard [B][+o(][:-))]!!

I bought some knotting over with me and as far as I know it's nothing like french polish?? I'll try to remember to 'ave a sniff tomorrow...

It works, Jonz, by creating an impermeable "shell" over the knot so resin can't ooze through.

Interestingly, years ago, we also used it in automotive bodyshops as a sealer coat: for example, when spraying nitro-cellulose over synthetic finish, to stop it "Pulling".

French polish, button polish and knotting are simply shellac flakes dissolved in white meths.

That said, there are hosts of different shellac flakes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

When I first worked in the City of Londres, there were still skads of commodity  and spice traders and importers and many had displays in their offices of little bottles full of all sorts of wondrous stuff, like shellac flakes, gum arabic etc. My bank, Midland in Fenchurch Street, even had a display rack and cases full of similar bottles of commodities from all over the globe.

Happier days.

Very interesting. Now I know that if anyone is shooting at me with an AK47 the stock is protected by shellac [:-))][:-))]!!!

Seriously, it is a fascinating material and I use both button polish and Liberon's friction polish, both shellac based. The friction polish seems the better to me, giving a better finish..

When I was a kid and making all sorts of stuff from any old gash bit of wood I could access (from the woodwork room at school!), I loved Button Polish!

Wonderful finish on most woods and the grain grinned through.

A young chum is a qualified (studied at college for years and part of his finals was to make from scratch a Regency dining chair!) is a total whiz at polishing.

It's an absolute joy to see his finished restorations. I've mentioned him before: the chap who sets light to water marks!