Renovating Beams: How Much Frass to Leave??

Rich1972

Hi all

Just a quick question regarding the channels left by woodworm on the face of oak beams. Do most people remove every trace of the woodworm channels until they're left with a smooth surface? Or do other leave some of grooves as part of the overall texture? I'm not sure that seeing remnants of woodworm channels actually bothers me too much and even adds to the character of the wood.

What do others think?

Rich

I think some holes and channels add character, definitely.  I have many such 'features' and as long as the little beggers aren't in there munching away it's OK by me.  I suppose it depends on what sort of house you have but if it's reasonably old I think it's allowed to have some signs of age.  After all, brand new planed wood would look out of place, no?

Hi Pierre

I'm glad you agree! I too think that newly planed beams would appear odd in a house dated c1750. I've managed to get back to hard wood on a beam up in the grenier and there are numerous little channels left over from the worm. It doesn't bother me at all as I'm not trying to attain a perfect finish. I just wondered if I was being strange. [:$]

No stranger than me!  OK well, that's pretty strange maybe [:P]

Sounds like your place was around for a hundred years before mine was built.  Mine is built from real bricks! very small ones though about half the size of the now common housebrick.  I bet it was criticised at the time for being 'new-fangled'

hi Rich

Just to say I agree within reason.  In the previous thread "Old Oak beam" http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1292909/ShowPost.aspx I attempted to show how bad the existing was.  In fact the reverse of the beam was slightly worse, rather resembling a honeycombe.  I never thought that I would be able to or indeed want to remove all of it.  I just want to make it more presentable and still rustic.  The previous owners just boxed it in, probably untreated, which has made it worse.  Part of their overall attempt to modernise a lovely old stone cottage into one of those modern bungalows.

Thanks Rich - I do still have a bit more to do on this one, mostly the other side and forgot to say that after the Arbortech I went over it with Zirconium flap discs in this instance 40 grit.  Without the Arbortech carver first, I think the flap discs would have worked out at quite a bit more expensive.  I still have a few beams to do when I get around to the grenier, but nothing like as bad condition and those flap discs might just be adequate.