Narnia bed!

Chris Head

A bit different to the Ikea stuff I guess? There's 130 hours plus of work all told in the bed and two bedside tables, it's all local Oak finished with hard wax oil. The processes of construction, 'carving' and finishing are lengthy but it sort of came out how I pictured it. I'd like to market this sort of work but it's difficult to know where to start looking and I'd get freaked if Terence Conran said 'I'll take a hundred'! What with the cost of the timber and the number of hours involved I don't even earn artisans rates for stuff like this. Ideas?

[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/louanchris/DSCN1884.jpg[/IMG]

Chris, that is just so fab and I love it.  But, it will weigh a ton and who's going to transport it?

I can see myself pushing out the boat and buying something like this bed but then I would need to know I am in my "forever" home because I can imagine the rough treatment the bed will take when the "removals" people come to take it to my next home.

But, well done! Chris.  All the best, S17.

Compairing what you have there with Terence Conran, or what ever his name is, would be like paying for the nose for Ikea+ kit compaired with what you have made! It really is a lovely piece of kit mate!!!

I would think that people with more money than they know what to do with, football players or F1 drivers, would fall over themselves for something as individual and good as that and most others would give their eye teeth for it.

I assume that it will come to bits to move?

I transport & assemble myself Sweet, I don't like anyone else being involved with my work...yep they're heavy but I don't think of that when doing a piece, I'm guided by proportion, sure it's ridiculously over engineered but why not? There isn't another like it anywhere.

Thanks JJ, it's actually underpriced, I'm not in this to be rich, just to realise dreams and ideas.

The wardrobe is next Renaud along with a blanket chest to complete the suite but moving the wardrobe will be a real problem!

What with the cost of the timber and the number of hours involved I don't even earn artisans rates for stuff like this. Ideas?

Yeah, charge more.

Uniquely made one off piece of furniture that has a value only to the person who wants it.

PS  have you tried posting something like this on EBAY with a starting price of  :- Artisan rates x hours worked. If it dont sell you've lost nothing, if it do............

PPS  Do you include the pliers under the bed as part of the fitting kit ??

Super piece Chris, the proportions & the colour are excellent. Maybe make a few more similar pieces & then contact one of those posh interior magazines & ask them to do an article for you. As JJ says - there are some folk out there with serious money who would love to own an individual piece like that. Same goes for your owl bench - I can see  Becks sitting there, sipping his pink gin, chatting to the "birds"     [Www]   Bonne chance!!!

Not too sure about ebay Steve but why not?

If your daughter can carry it away Lisleoise she's welcome to it...I'm not going to be arguing with her!

Thanks Postie, I wanted to use larger section timber but it's a standard double & wouldn't have carried the bigger timbers very well, a kingsize could merit some seriously hefty timbers. Got Becks number to hand?