Twisted candle stick?

Jonzjob

Well I saw a method of making open spiral thingies and just couldn't

resist it! So I started off with a small log hoiked off of the fire wood

pile and finished up with one, I hope, of a pair. The wood is slightly spalted beech.

I have tried

to make these things before, but the method was just not worth the

effort. Life is too short for some things, but this one looked

promising.

The first photo is the rough turning of the overall shape and it progresses.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Spiralcandle1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Spiralcandle2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Spiralcandle5.jpg[/IMG]

Next is the right hand thread and from what I can make out it is more difficult!

Anyone tell me why? It is quite obvious when you know! I didn't even think about the difference.

Something to do with the direction you must feed work on the router table I would say.

I made some chopping boards yesterday out of beech worktop cut-outs, thats 9 people now who are going to get the first Xmas present from me in years. I would quite like to have a crack at the spiral work, I think I have something about it in one of my books hidden away in the attic.

Cut with a forstner bit and shaped with my tiny Carol sanding drum and a strip of 'J' cloth. No router in sight because of the larger diameter at the top and bottom, but I did think of it!

As for your idea Doux Dix-sept, kinky, but not too practical Dukkie!! Plus the idea of one of the balls that I 'may' have turned running up and down? Well I don't know what to say? Sounds like something niponeeze to me?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]. No router in sight because of the larger diameter at the top and bottom, but I did think of it!
[/quote]

So you took the photo on the router table just to muddy the waters then!

I thought that you had come up with some clever rotary indexing fixture for the router table, I did however see the lay out lines on the rough pieces.

Nice work and all the better for knowing that you could have srapped them at any moment.

The router table was about the only clear space in my workshop at the time[:$]. No cleaver anything really, just held the piece loosely steady in my drill vice and made sure that the forstner bit was centred on the spiral line each time.

The forstner bit is the only drill bit that I know that will drill half a hole and make a lovely clean job of it!

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]. No router in sight because of the larger diameter at the top and bottom, but I did think of it!
[/quote]

So you took the photo on the router table just to muddy the waters then!

I thought that you had come up with some clever rotary indexing fixture for the router table, I did however see the lay out lines on the rough pieces.

Nice work and all the better for knowing that you could have srapped them at any moment.

[/quote]

Likewise

Drilling and spiraling right hand apparently causes tearout and if you look at the top photo it looks possible, but I'm not convinced. I'll let you know when I've screwed up the second one [:-))][:-))]

Time for me butie sleep now!!

It does cause a bit of tear out with the forstner bit. I gave it a quick sharpen before I did it too!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Twisttearout.jpg[/IMG]

I have cleaned a fair bit of it up, but there was definitely a fair bit of tear out. It won't cause a problem because the Carol sander just takes it out. It is a fair bit more awkward to do the sanding though with the twist in the other direction.

Tres bizarre!

Well I could now change the

title of this thread to Spiral candle sticks because I have done the

second. It was more difficult doing the right hand thread. That was

mainly due to the orientation of the twist when I was smoothing down the

form from the forstner bit cuts. Quite surprising really 'cause I

thought it would be very similar.

I am pleased with the results but I think that I will spend a bit more

time and effort on the finish? Well maybe, but I am a lazy git, so???

Oh yes, the candle on the left hand one is now straight! Embarassed

VERY very nicely done JJ! I so love seeing everybodys work, ideas and inspiration are all around us! Don't know if you can source an Oak log with 40-50 cms heartwood & perhaps 1m high JJ? I'll chuck a few more saws in the car and we'll do it BIG! Just out of interest, how long start to finish for each one?

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Perhaps in the Southern hemisphere then the left hand thread is more difficult...[Www]

Very nice, JJ, btw.

[/quote]

Thank you Coops!!

I think the hemis-fear thingie is only to do with plug-oles and eau? Not too sure though, I'll have to give it a try? Someday when I'm not busy that is [:-))]

Blimey Chris! That wouldn't be a candle stick, that would be a fire beacon stand!

Timewise? About 3 hours each. The easy bit is getting them cylindrical, the hardest, on the hands, is sanding the inside of the spirals![:'(]