Todays post

Much impressed with anvil weight, it makes so much difference to have a big mass under the hammer.  For the height, I was told that you should stand upright and make a fist with your arm by your side, the top of the anvil should be at the level of your knuckles.  I found that a bit low so I went up 10 cms or so from that, maybe if I were doing it for real and not a hobby it would be different.

Charcoal, used BBQ stuff at first (not good) then got some better stuff from a local charcoal burner (in UK).  In France my house came with a huge amount of coal (at least 10 tonnes) in an outbuilding.  I use the coal and coke it gently in the furnace before turning the wick up and getting HOT!

I call my favouirite hammer 'Lightning'

Oh yes, bigger is better. Yep,your right, it is the height that you will be holding the piece horizontally on the anvil, whilst having your arm in a normal position. So prevents strain. Also you are taking more advantage of gravity, the lower it is.

Bit of messing around though with the coal isn't it. And it's not nice smoke. So i prefer it ready made!

What type and weight is 'lightning'??!!

The only reason I have my anvil a little higher than the norm is that I find it easier on my back. You are quite right with your comments about strain and gravity but I don't do enough to make a big difference, I'd prefer to walk upright at the end of the day [:)]

Yeah coal is smelly but for me it's free!! and as I don't do that much I don't find it a problem.  Without a doubt I would be looking for coke if I was doing a lot of Smithying.

Lightning is a cross-pein of just under 1.5 kgs. Why 'Lightning'? cuz it never strikes the same place twice [:$]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Lightning is a cross-pein of just under 1.5 kgs. Why 'Lightning'? cuz it never strikes the same place twice [:$]

[/quote]

LOL!!

My faves are my 2lb ball pein and a 3lb square faced cross pein. (neither have names!!) I have my eye on a hammer i want  for my birthday...........it's bit pricey though!!

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"][quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

[/quote]

LOL!!

My faves are my 2lb ball pein and a 3lb square faced cross pein. (neither have names!!) I have my eye on a hammer i want  for my birthday...........it's bit pricey though!!
[/quote]

That sounds familiar? A mate of mine bought his wife (ex now!!) a wet suit for her birthday. The idea was that he borrowed it when she wasn't using it and went dingy sailing [:-))]!! True story!