Ikea home ordering and delivery

Tony F Dordogne

We want to buy some IKEA stuff for the sejour and thought about going to Bordeaux (about 2.5 hours each way) in a friend's van, paying his petrol and for a day's work for him to bring the furniture we want back home.  Assuming they have it in stock that is.

The IKEA France web site shows a home delivery service, online ordering, never out of stock as it's central ordering and the like.

Has anybody used it in France, knows what it's like please?

I found it very good and would use it again.We had all our kitchen units ( except baskets that they refused to deliver), beds and matresses delivered.

My only gripe (apart from the baskets!)  was the more you spent, the more you paid on delivery [:@]

We used IKEA to have our kitchen delivered including appliances-cooker, fridgefreezer etc. It cost us €200 for a delivery over 1 hours drive away from our nearest store. As it is a holiday home it was our builder who took delivery and according to him there was some damage to some of the doors when he opened the packages. IKEA were very efficient in resolving matters but we weren't the ones having to make the phone calls and hang about waiting for redelivery. I have been told that Ikea in France use mainly contract type delivery services which may account for a little less care being taken. Overall though I found the system worked reasonably well- I ordered all the stuff on the net, paid by credit card over the phone and had no problem getting refunds on surplus stuff inspite of havin no receipts at the time.

Tony

We have done both. We went to IKEA in Bordeaux and ordered sofas and other furniture. It turned out that the sofas took seven weeks rather than promised three whilst the other furniture arrived inside a month.

Also we have hired a van and picked up various units, a couple had to go back due to damage but there was no problem over this.

In fact the bigest surprise at the IKEA in Bordeaux is that the staff were relaxed, pleasant and helpful. A radical new concept.

Thanks for the replies folks.  I looked at the web site before posting and it would be cheaper to have things delivered than to hire a van (still need at least one person with me) or get my mate (registered driver type person in France) to do it for me and it would also mean a long day for me and OH which at the moment, we can't really afford cos of work.

I'll have a mull on it for a day or so ........

We used it and as Toni said, they contract out the delivery to local firms so you have to chase two sets of people if something goes missing.  It took about a month to get all the items (a crucial part of a table was missing....) but that was over the Christmas period.

Overall, it was  really handy to be able to do it online and much cheaper for us than hiring a van and taking a day off work.  I'd use it again if I had a good few things to get and I wasn't in a huge rush.

I used the service to have a lot of furniture delivered for the gites and was very impressed, although it was quite expensive. It was delivered on time and the French helpdesk was very helpful. The only strange thing was that there was a runner missing from a chest of drawers and a foot missing from a wardrobe (isn't there always) and instead of posting off these parts they had to deliver a new wardrobe and chest of drawers in an artic and I had to pick out the missing bits, the rest went back to Ikea. No problem on my part, it just seemed a strangely expensive way of doing it!