Bottles for red wine

Johndeb

My neighbour has very kindly given me about 30 litres of wine from his vines and I need to buy bottles to bottle it all.   Any idea where?   I have a corking kit etc.   My neighbour is a great guy and this is typical of him but he can be somewhat elusive so I have not managed to ask him and it needs bottling soon.

John

we get delivered wine-boxes of 30 or 33 litres. You are supposed to bottle it (if it lasts long enough!), and the chap recommended asking at resturants or looking at recycling areas.

Corks, etc, are available at Carrefour and other large supermarkets.

We find it lasts OK as-is, but did recant the 1st lot into saved water bottles - although we won't do this again as apparently they are only designed for single use and can cause health problems if re-used!

[quote user="hoverfrog"] but did recant the 1st lot into saved water bottles - although we won't do this again as apparently they are only designed for single use and can cause health problems if re-used![/quote]

I've not heard of this before. Have you any more info, where did you hear this, what sort of problems?? [:'(]

Louise

apparently the plastic used for watter bottles can 'leak' elements into the liquid if re-used, similar to old-fashioned cling-film. My friend told me after reading a couple of articles about it, one of which was the case study of a girl who re-used water bottles to take drinks to school and later died from the chemicals involved.

I always wondered why water had an expiry date on it - after all, it's not like it's going to go off! Now I understand, it's not the water but the bottle.

[quote user="hoverfrog"]apparently the plastic used for watter bottles can 'leak' elements into the liquid if re-used, similar to old-fashioned cling-film. My friend told me after reading a couple of articles about it, one of which was the case study of a girl who re-used water bottles to take drinks to school and later died from the chemicals involved. I always wondered why water had an expiry date on it - after all, it's not like it's going to go off! Now I understand, it's not the water but the bottle.[/quote]

Sorry Hoverfrog but this does sound like an urban myth.  The lengths manufacturers have to go to get approvals for food contact use means that there is little likelyhood of any chemical leaching out of the plastic in any significant amount, let alone quantities to kill you.  The one rider to put on this would be if you changed the type of application totally you might (and I stress might) leach out some chemicals - so for example using a water bottle to store hot oil poured back from the chip pan might come into this category.   It would be a pretty dumb thing to do anyway since the bottle would distort due to the heat.

As for why water has a use by date - 2 reasons

1.  all packaged non-perishable food stuffs have by EU law to have a use by date.  Look at your pack of salt - and salt does not go off and is used to preserve other foods.

2.  despite all controls, eau de source cannot be guaranteed 100% bacteria and virus free, over time they could multiply.  The chances of these bacteria being in any way dangerous is minute but not absolutely zero.

[quote user="hoverfrog"]many thanks for putting me right on that!

Now I can go back to reusing those water bottles :)[/quote]

Actually, from what I understand, the danger of reusing water bottles is not from chemicals leaching out, but because they are not properly washed and become breeding grounds for bacteria.  Especially because most people drink directly from the bottle.

PG