why no cheddar !!!!

maude

In the last 4 years of being here,we have noticed a very ever so slight improvement in choice of supermarket produce.In the uk you can buy spanish,French,Italian,Bessarabian cheese etc.Apart from a little Italian cheese,it takes a lifetimes search to find any English cheese,and thats only a little cheddar.Why arent the other English cheeses found such as Lancashire,Leicester?Is it marketing ignorance,not new,or is it the usual protectionism.Funny when we are supposed to be a member of the E.U, but we notice, we can buy frogs legs imported from JAVA. and Snails from Thailand-Ugh!!!!The mind boggles.They must be very entrenched and shallow in the world ,and especially in the EU alternatives available.Just seems a shame.I think they are still under the myth about French being the be all and end all ! Disappointed thats all,     Maude. 

We can buy chedder and Red Leicester in our local supermarket (Champion) down here in the south but to be honest it didn't sell very well and was last seen on special offer because the date was running out. I have bought a little form time to time mainly for guests who want English food (why they come to France is anyones guess) and have had the odd nibble myself. Chedder brings back memories of watching the Six Nations (rugby) back in London with a few tinnies, big lump of mature chedder, pickled onions, couple of French sticks and Branston Pickle. Didn't go down to well with 'she who MUST be obeyed' in bed especially if we lost as well. Puts a whole new meaning on 'full of hot air' if you get my drift.

The only English cheese other than Cheddar I have seen is Stilton and then very occasionally. 8 types of Italian cheese are available and 4 or 5 Dutch. In a French quiz where the contestants were asked to name 5 cheese producing countries England was disallowed!

Im a sod for me cheese but yet to find one I really like

mmmmm Lancashire, Leicester!!

Had a belter in Italy last year, very much like crumbly Lancashire cheese so if anyone can tell me of a similar french cheese i'd love to know, I only really like Cantal, or any recommendation really.