Medium pricerange furniture.

saddie

Is there a furniture chain in France which has furniture of a reasonable quality and price? I have checked out Conforama, But and Fly - cheapand cheerful or cheap and tatty depending on your viewpoint. I then went to Mobilier de France, La Roche Bobois and Levitan. Lovely quality but ouch the price. I am only looking for some sort of biblioteque, living or such to put the hifi,  cds, phone etc on.

Another quite good one is Atlas http://www.atlas-meubles.tm.fr/

A lot of the stuff you see on their web site, and definitely the stuff in the publicité that comes through the door, is But-style c**p, but that's what seems to appeal to the French. When you go to the store they have some very good quality ranges, such as the 'terroir' range that doesn't even appear on line.

If traditional or English-type furniture - i.e. solid wood tables, cupboards etc, and decent sofas, many with removeable covers, is what you are looking for then www.interiors.fr is worth checking. Not a big chain, but they do have stockists in most of France.

Another alternative is the many small local furniture makers - we have a lot in Normandy and Brittany, and I am sure they exist in other regions. Most of their stuff is a bit over-ornate, and imitation woodworm holes seem to be compulsory, but because they make it themselves they will do variations on the standard.