France - How do you go about claiming the estate of a deceased (intestate) relative please?

Cherryade

We are the next of kin, but haven't the foggiest idea how to begin.

In the UK you apply for Letters of Administration, but I've been told that's not the case in France. I haven't seen anything to tell us where to start.

Do we need to submit some kind of claim to a Notaire?

Well, I would start with the notaires.  Here's the page on inheritance:

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/page/wills-registry?page_id=710&orig_page_id=709

There's also a contacts page for you to find an English speaking notaire in the area where your relative is. 

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/xpage/trouver-un-notaire?page=rechercheNotaires

Sorry to hear your news, and good luck.

I would suggest that you get every official document you possess or can get hold of showing your relationship to the deceased. You will need to show this to the notaire to prove who you are. ps, you do need to be a blood relative.

Then I would contact the Mairie in the town where they lived and they may be able to let you know which notaire is being used and contact them.

[quote user="Cherryade"]I was hoping for something a bit more "nuts and bolts[/quote]

Establish your "degré de parenté" and take it from there.

http://www.heritage-succession.com/succession-heritage_9_10.html

Plenty of info on " succession ab intestat" on google.

http://www.google.fr/search?q=succession+sans+testament&rls=com.microsoft:fr:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7MEDA&redir_esc=&ei=EOuhTqHvJ4n04QSZo5zzBA

[quote user="Cherryade"]I was hoping for something a bit more "nuts and bolts[/quote]

Our members can only offer an opinion. The best advice anyone can give you is go see the Notaire nearest to the place the person lived they may know something.

You said next of kin well if the deceased had children and your one of them then the estate will be divided up amongst you, it's the law in France. You really need to go see a Notaire.

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, it'd be overwhelming and complicated even without being a different legal system and language, but now I've somewhere to start.

Many thanks to pachapapa for a very useful link, and to idun for the idea of contacting the Mairie, as I suspect that a Notaire would alreay be involved, so guess his office would know. I'm a keen family historian, so I already have all the documents that link us.

I am glad you have found the links useful. Whilst I no longer express an opinion on legal matters on this forum due to the incessant criticism of the content of my posts from certain quarters; I would just add without in any way expressing an opinion regarding your situation that in the event of an intestate succession the procedure adopted is set out in clear detail in the relevant portion of the Code Civil.

There is a thriving industry in france of investigators perusing the records in departmental archives specifically looking for possible inheritors to unclaimed successions.

Cherryade,

I think it very important to note that other than links to official sites, unless the contributor declares a legally qualified status, any information provided here should not be considered legal advice and does not take the place of consultation with a qualified legal practioner.

In my experience, notaires go to great lengths to track down the beneficiaries of any inheritance. So, even if you do nothing, in good time they will eventually find you...sorry if that is not very helpful either, but at least you can be reassured that you will not be overlooked, unless there are other relatives, closer to the deceased than you, in the pecking order determined by French laws.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Cherryade,

I think it very important to note that other than links to official sites, unless the contributor declares a legally qualified status, any information provided here should not be considered legal advice and does not take the place of consultation with a qualified legal practioner.

[/quote]

I would advise looking for a practitioner...now thats a longer word.[:-))]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Well spotted and it proves there is no need for the spell checker when you're about! 

I would hate the OP to get confused or receive misleading information from an unqualified Barrack Room Lawyer type who may not fully understand the intricacies of the French legal system.

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Well spotted and it proves there is no need for the spell checker when you're about! 

I would hate the OP to get confused or receive misleading information from an unqualified Barrack Room Lawyer type who may not fully understand the intricacies of the French legal system.

[/quote]

Indeed that would be quite awful fortunately I have not noticed any barrack room lawyers on this forum recently.

Do tell me if you have any doubts about any advice and would be terribly upset if I was misled.