"Petrole" Heaters: where to buy them and what they're like

mint

They had one at Bricomarché in Falaise yesterday, a Zibro.  By the look of the dust on top it has been there quite a while, by the look of the price tag (just short of 600euros) it will be there a while yet.

(BTW our cat's second favourite place is about 60cm in front of ours).

I bought one of these a few years ago and have been told they are terrible for the house so I no longer use it. I was told by a few workers that they really should only be used in a garage or something similar because they put out a lot of moisture that can cause damage.

They do give out vapour (condensation)WJT.

Depends how you use them, of course.  Ours is in our hall which is pretty big with stairs leading up into another large space (the landing) with very high ceilings.

Also, because of the dog who always wants to run in and out all day long, the front door is opened quite a few times in the day.

Then, one door leads out of the hall into a large, cavernous sitting-room.  What I'm emphasising is that we have circulation areas of big volumes so no problem with using the heater.

It's if you use it in confined spaces, perhaps small rooms with tightly sealed double glazed windows, that the moisture problem is more likely.  Put another way, as someone else has already pointed out, ventilation is important.

I must say our house has never felt so comfortable than since we've had the petrole heater.

I know the sort of paraffin heaters that are used in garages and greenhouses.  A modern one like ours is a pretty sophisticated piece of kit.  It has a fan to circulate the hot air and is not a radiant type that only heats the air directly in front of it.  There is no "flame" or anything like that visible.  Also, it's not exactly cheap, so I am hoping that it will do what it says on the box.

I bought ours just winter before last and only used it for that season because of what I was told. It wasn't expensive at around 100 euros but it does have a fan. I have only seen ones like the one I bought in the shops. Our old stone house is certainly not draft proof and the room I was using it in is quite large with a very large fireplace. It worked quite well but have not used it since I was told it was no good for the house.

WJT, why don't you try it and see if you have a problem?

For me, it's certainly beats being cold.

Just "air" the room, say, first thing in the mornings when the heater is not in used.

You know, if you cook, boil a kettle, have a shower; all those things also create vapour and condensation and we do all those things, don't we?

In fact, if you breathe, you create moisture.

We did think of installing another woodburner in the hall but the petrole heater is so much less work.  Also, hopefully, we're only going to be using it for the next few weeks!

For a minute there Sweet, I thought you were describing our house but the realised we dont have a dog!!!!!!

WJT, there is nothing at all wrong with using a petrole heater, as long as there is the required ventilation, as Sweet says. I have used one in a small well draught proofed room and the condensation is something else. In the light of your comment about a large room, draughts and large fire place I think you are being a little bit over-cautious.

The reason I may seem over cautious is because we have problems with damp already. When we return after leaving the house empty, I like that the radiators and fireplace dry the house out and it really bothered me that by using one of these that I was putting lots of moisture in the house. I had a few the macon and a few others tell me it was no good for the house.

Now I know this will sound stupid but we are in the process of having a new roof put on and even when there was no roof and only a tarpaulin covering the main part of the house upstairs, I still didn't want to use it.

I don't think that they are a problem unless you use them in a confined space and don't have any ventilation at all. In fact when we have the log burning stove running the humidity gets much too low typically about 38% which is not at all healthy. I have a metal bowl of water on top of the stove to try and get the humidity up a bit. We have not noticed a significant increase in humidity in the house when the paraffin stoves are running. The weather has much more influence on humidity levels and when the weather station tells us that it is too high we run an electric dehumidifier which works quite well.....................JR 

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

I don't think that they are a problem unless you use them in a confined space and don't have any ventilation at all. In fact when we have the log burning stove running the humidity gets much too low typically about 38% which is not at all healthy. I have a metal bowl of water on top of the stove to try and get the humidity up a bit. We have not noticed a significant increase in humidity in the house when the paraffin stoves are running. The weather has much more influence on humidity levels and when the weather station tells us that it is too high we run an electric dehumidifier which works quite well.....................JR 

[/quote]

JR, that is a good idea. We do have a problem with damp in this house particularly if it is left vacant for anytime. I think it is time we buy a dehumidifier like you suggest. This way I could use the paraffin heater and the dehumidifier at the same time.

The dehumidifier we have is a Zibro Clima  D901 and seems to work quite well. Don't need to use it in winter much as the log burner seems to lower the humidity to below 38% which is too dry anyway. Certainly need the two paraffin stoves first thing in the morning just now until the log burner is up and running. Don't try to keep it in at night as that produces too much soot and is not recommended.............................JR 

PS You can get a passive dehumidifier which needs no electricity and is just a block of chemical in a plastic container but you would need a lot of these to equal one electric one. Most weather stations will monitor and display humidity levels in the room in which they are placed. Well worth the money and gives the outside temperature as well by means of a remote unit which you put outside and sends the data by radio to the internal base unit. The outside remote unit should be sheltered from rain and placed in a shaded area to give accurate outside air temperature readings.

The pétrole at Leclerc's is still on offer near here in St Maixent L'ecole. They had no 20 litre bidons left but sold the stuff from their big tank at the same price. Ok as long as you take your own bidons for refill. I assume it is of the same quality and normally is cheaper than buying it in a container. We did once have some that was a bit smelly but maybe their tank was nearly empty on that occasion. Not had any problem since..........................JR