Having curtains made in France

Claire

Do the French use the same sort of terminology as in the UK when making up curtains.  i.e drop x 2 widths, fully lined, 3" pencil pleat heading?

What is is the exact vocabulary please?.  I have used Google but the French looks wrong somehow. We need 5 pairs made up as unfortunately we have had a burst pipe in the loft and water has ruinied 2 bedrooms and the lounge. We also have fabric on the walls in the lounge. Is this usual in France??

[quote user="Claire"]

We also have fabric on the walls in the lounge. Is this usual in France??

[/quote]

I don't know about usual but quite common in older houses; especially if the houses belonged to the likes of the local GP or maire, someone who might have had some standing in the town. Not only was the fabric decorative it was also often padded so acting as a form of insulation.

Sue

[quote user="Claire"]

We also have fabric on the walls in the lounge. Is this usual in France??

[/quote]

What, no fabric on the ceilings and stairwell?

You've been short-changed, my girl![6]

Good Luck with the curtains!  Be sure you take lots of cash or a credit card with a large  available balance...........[:D]

I too am planning to get curtains, but how ?  with windows opening inwards is it possible to have 'proper' lined curtains, rather than a tiny bit of voile hanging on the window.  Is there some kind of curtain rail that splits or something ?   We barely need privacy, but I like the look of 'proper' curtains, and they are also extra insulation in winter.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Tegwini

ps we had thick fabic on walls and even ceillings - a bit like carpet it was, but very hard to remove.

You could run the curtain pole or rail far enough either side of the aperture, so that with the curtains open there is enough clear wall to fold the window panes flat. If you have two adjacent windows you can extend one curtain rail over both.

• 2 weeks later...