Lamb Shanks

Benjamin

Nell

It must be  a regional thing since our local supermarket is an Ecomarché.

Puzzled

Looking at the shank part on a full leg this morning they seem a bit smaller than those that we've bought in the UK. Do you find that's the case?

I'll try in the larger Leclerc later in the week.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Nell

Looking at the shank part on a full leg this morning they seem a bit smaller than those that we've bought in the UK. Do you find that's the case?

[/quote]

Just checked some I have in the freezer - they weigh in about 1lb 6oz (in old money[Www]).

I buy loads of them.. which are about 300-400g per shank... which is about 1 portion as it contains a fair bit of bone.

Cook them for a few hours in silver foil in the oven with any of your favourite herbs wine etc

They are great for groups as they keep warm in the silver foil and can be served on the plate still in the foil.

I get them from the abattoir.

osie

I go to the one in Capdenac as it is the closest to me... It only does Lamb and lots of it.

I do use it for professional use but I do not see why you can not use it privately too.

I would suggest looking for the nearest one in your area and give them a bell.

There always seem to be plenty of frozen lamb shanks in Picards - the frozen food shop.  I've never seen them anywhere else so if I need them this is where I go.  They're delicious slowly braised in a tomato, garlic and rosemary sauce.

We'd never thought to look in the freezers so thanks.

We actually bought the only three that the butcher in Leclerc had  today. As someone else has pointed out they're not cheap at 15,90 per kilo.

The butcher understood what I meant when I asked for jarrets but he did correct me and said they are always referred to as souris d'agneau.

• 3 months later...

I see them occasionally in supermarkets (Perigueux).  I bought the only one they had in LeClerc in Riberac yesterday.

It'll join the other carefully gathered ones I buy as I see.

'Souris'  (hope that is correct) do seem pretty rare here though.

We had some last Sunday cooked over night in the slow cooker from 10 pm until 2 pm the next day.

Cooked on a bed of onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, sweet potato with a good slug of warm red wine poured over.

Delicious!!!!!!    [:D]