Bagels

valB

Does anyone know where I can purchase Bagels. I have seen them in the frozen food shop in Niort but wondered if any of the well known supermarkets stock them.  I have been looking but cannot see any.Gagging for a toasted Bagel with smoked Salmon and Philly cheese.

Nearest Carreforre is quite away from us but worth the trip just to find some. My OH would go for the bacon ones  as he does not like Salmon. Thank you for replies.  My nearest Super marches are SuperU and Intermarche but we do have a Lidyl and LeaderPrice within a short drive so may check them out as well.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

To be eaten for a Sunday brunch with a Bucks Fizz and the Sunday papers.

[/quote]

Nah, I find the Sunday papers too chewy [:P]

Best bagel I ever had were from the Jewish Bagel shop in Brick Lane.  I was a fair detour to walk that way from the station to work in the morning but worth it!

Why do bagel shops also sell doughnuts?  Is it the same dough?

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

As an aside, there was a fabulous jewish deli in the east end - I don't remember where exactly - and they had the best pastrami on rye.  To die for.

[/quote]

Possibly Bloom's, originally in Brick Lane, more recently in Whitechapel High St but now in Golders Green, though there are others inc. Beigel Bakery in Brick Lane. I recall an eat-in beigel shop in one of the side streets off Middlesex St, complete with hand basin, customers for the use of, but the name of street and shop escape me. I think it was Bloom's that had problems with the Beth Din and had to close for a while but this was all a while ago and the old grey matter ain't what it was.

And now for a point of etymology

Is bagel an Americanism (unable to spell difficult words?) of the Yiddish beigel - possible translation as stirrup ?

John

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

As an aside, there was a fabulous jewish deli in the east end - I don't remember where exactly - and they had the best pastrami on rye.  To die for.

Pierre, you're supposed to soak the papers before eating them[Www]

[/quote]

Or, if you're in France, you dunk them in your morning café au lait.