Portable Hard Drive Promo

pachapapa

On tuesday rang local Hyper U to reserve a 500 GB Transcend on promotion at € 49,90. Told that reservation was not necessary as they had lots of them. On saturday called by with a view to purchasing the HD and surprise, surprise none left. Lots of excuses trying to fob me off. Finally they decided to compromise and sell me a 500 GB WD My Passport Essentials USB 2.0 marked at € 99,99 for the promotion price of € 49,90 of the out of stock item. All parties more or less satisfied.

I have now a slight technical problem in that the WD product has some fairly comprehensive back up software on board. I presume that I can disable this to use the HD as a simple storage medium for the PVR function on the Samsung Plasma TV. Also could I use it with two partitions with one for PC backup and the second for media files created by the TV?

I bought one of those WD "My Passport" hard drives a few years back, and am delighted with it.  I did follow on-line advice not to load the software that comes with it, though.   Therefore I just save things to it when I choose to, rather than it happening automatically to everything.

Angela

Thanks folks for the info, particularly the youtube clip.

The shop HyperU was reasonably happy to let it go at € 49.90, probably because it is USB 2.0. OK with my TV so no problems.

There are a lot of ext HD drives on offer with USB 2.0 specification with the advent of USB 3.0 on the market.

I may later use the drive for back up which it apparently will do for up to 3 PCs.

Thanks again. PPP.