dishwasher switch

mint

I have a dishwasher that is just over 2 years old (aren't they always when they develop a problem?)

It's a built-in model so the control panel is on the door frame and thus within the dishwasher when it is in use.

I think that design fault could be the cause of the problem because the switch is subject to heat, steam, calcaire from our hard water etc.

The switch is a push button one, not toggle.  It is now tending to stick.  So, if I switch it on, it is in sticky mode and will switch itself off again before I have a chance to close the door and start the cycle.

As there doesn't seem to be any repair person near us and it is such a little problem, I am wondering whether anyone might have an idea what to do.  For example, would an electrician be able to clean out the switch?

Try Googling - "Problem with on/off switch on dishwasher (make and model no.)". You'll more than likely find your not the first to have suffered this issue and will possibly find forums with some suggestions on how to rectify the problem or advice on what steps to take.

Good advice from Cajal.

If your machine is like the ones I have used it has an on switch and an off switch.

If it is turning itself off, it may be a problem with the off switch rather than the on switch. Try giving the off switch a firm push and see if the problem disappears.

Your dishwasher is like ours. So I can understand what you are saying.

Personally, I would spray some 'cleaning' vinegar (very useful cleaning vinegar) or anti calcaire spray around the switch and let it soak a bit. Then push it in and out a few times. I would do that before calling someone out.

It sounds to me like like it just calcium build up stopping it from holding in. I am sure it happened on ours before we got one of those water softener (French word I can't say or spell....ammotisomethingorother) things.

Very good those water softener things if you have hard water. It changed our lives.

ALBF, I reckon the calcaire went to you brain before you got the softener! Sound advice though.

Nimt, open door full, take shotgun, load, aim, fire straight at the switch; wont fix problem but will get it off your chest!

Concensus seems to be that it is bunged up with muck, then. Just clean it. Vinegar not a bad idea

Thanks everybody.

Can't find my exact model on your link, Cajal, but I found plenty of information on changing a similar type switch.  So, at worst, if OH is too nervous to do it, I'll get someone in to detach the switch and clean it.

I might resort to the vinegar spray idea.  Just tell me I am not likely to get electrocuted?

I'm not sure WD 40 is a good idea. It won't dissolve the gunk. Calcaire is quite tough to dissolve. It will just make the switch all greasy.

I can't see how a squirt of vinegar is going to have a major impact on the switch given that over the last two years you have probably spilt endless amounts of milk, coffee, grease etc into the switch when loading it.

Besides, if you put it on a hot cycle afterwards the stream at the end of the programme will dry it out.

It makes me chuckle that some people might think that a 240vac switch would have mains hot water running through it which eventually causes a build up of calcaire and which would necessitate dissolving it with vinaigre ménagère [:D]

Within the casing of the machine outside of the sealed drum unit there is no exposure to water, even if the machine is in a cold uninsulated outhouse like my laundry there will be no problems of damp or humidity.

Cant say without seeing the machine but the description sounds like the actuating button is sticky in which case the vinaigre ménagère or WD40 or my favorite a PTFE spray may well do the job, it unlikely to be the contacts sticking, cleaning of switch contacts is only ever done if they are oxidised, burnt through arcing or have dust particles all preventing correct full current switching, it does not sound like that.

I agree that Docteur Google is the first thing to consult with the model number

Yes Andy, in the real world a switch like that should be completely sealed, however the fact that it appears to have become gunked up would suggest other wise.

As to whether it is actually calcaire ALBF after what you have mentioned you have spilt over it. Vinegar would not be my first choice, if it gets to any of the wires it can by capillary action get drawn inside the insulation and steadily oxidise the copper causing a bigger problem. A proper switch cleaner would evaporate away. But if its just gunk build up at least WD40 won't cause additional problems and it drives out water. We'll have to wait and see/hear what the result is.

The only possibe circumstance that I could see calcaire building up in a switch would be if someone were to use an unsealed switch in a limestone cavern with rainwater dripping directly onto it from the stalactites above.

It just could not happen.

In plumbing where there is hard water it only builds up to any measurable amount where there is the highest temperature around an immersion element, bits can break off and collect in tap filters etc, an immersion element working perfectly makes a good photo for the like of Calgon to persuade you to buy their product claiming the machine is dead.

Any condensation within a machine (which I have never encountered) would be pure distilled water and not cause a calcaire deposit.

I can tell you this happened to our dishwasher switch. It was a push in push out one. It just did not stick until I squirted it with vinegar.

I am not saying it is calcaire in Mints situation but in our one it probably was.

We live in a very very hard water area....and our plumber was saying to us that he is constantly replacing gas boilers because of it.

Since we installed the water softener, we don't even have to clean the glass on the showers anymore. Before it was a daily job. I think we have been through 4 kettles that just get iced up after a week.

A new gas boiler is 7k. Dishwasher 400 euros. Washing machine 400 euros. Taps, washers, anti calcaire cleaning materials. Calcaire is a pain in the bum.

The water softener cost us 700 euros to install. No problems since.

ALBF, if you were talking about a valve, or even an electric solenoid valve then its entirely possible that calcaire could make the operation sticky, it happens on my groupe de sécurités and the isolating valves that I use to throttle the water supplies to the apartments. That is because a water flows through a valve, electrical current passes through a switch which does not contain limescale.

As you have said it could be any sort of grunge, liquid lessive, coffee etc which is blocking the actuating button but it wont be calcaire unless the machine is in a limestone cavern, vinaigre ménagère is as good as anything for removing the grunge.

I have just dropped a full coffee cup onto a bar stool which created a coffee bomb, walls floor and ceiling, leather sofa,  if this happens to you clean the ceiling immediately and not last of all like I did, nothing would remove the coffee stains, tried industrial dégraissants vinaigre ménagère, everything, was resigned to having to repaint the whole salon/cuisine ceiling when I tried swimming pool strength bleach which did the job thankfully.

If you have a shower and the water dries on the glass (or the tiles) calcaire deposits start to form. After a while it builds up. Even at the joint of the pare brise where after a while it won't swivel anymore without making a grinding noise.

I have cleaned tiles in a bathroom with a razor blade to remove the calcaire. Its hard work.

Over time when loading a dishwasher water will get into space between the button and the housing and start hardening....I guess ???. Mixed with corn flakes, backed beans, fish and chips and whatever else they eat in the Dordogne and it will become clogged.

This is the most surreal thread I have ever written on. LOL

OK, guys, got an infinitesimal amount of WD40 left.  Just about managed to get it into the switch and it's now working[:)]

I wouldn't discount it having a bit of calcaire, however.  The calcaire seems to get in everywhere.

Andy, I'm normally extra careful with putting in salt every couple of days.  Recently, OH has been left to be in charge of dishwasher (me having been fully occupied being ill) and I don't suppose he's remembered the salt.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for their thoughts and special thanks to TP for the suggestion of WD40.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]If you have a shower and the water dries on the glass (or the tiles) calcaire deposits start to form. After a while it builds up. Even at the joint of the pare brise where after a while it won't swivel anymore without making a grinding noise. I have cleaned tiles in a bathroom with a razor blade to remove the calcaire. Its hard work. Over time when loading a dishwasher water will get into space between the button and the housing and start hardening....I guess ???. Mixed with corn flakes, backed beans, fish and chips and whatever else they eat in the Dordogne and it will become clogged. This is the most surreal thread I have ever written on. LOL[/quote]

Hands up, I misread the initial posting and thought it was a washing machine, I know zero about dishwashers, never touched one and hope I never will.

Its quite probable that water will slosh on the switch and Inow know what you were referring to about the steam.

Calcaire on shower screens - bain of my life, its OK in summer with one and 2 day rentals, as soon as someone stays 3 or more days I have a big job on my hands, the vinaigre ménagère is king but the problem is removing the streaks it leaves as I have clear unfrosted shower doors, they look great when 100% clean but anything less shows.

Only have long term tenants at the moment, the polish guys I clean for once a week and have them housetrained to spray the glass after showering, the other guys it can be up to 11 months before I recover the flats for the summer tourist trade and it can take a couple of hours on the shower screens along.

Glad all is good Mint,

Chancer, is it all calcaire or mixed with soap scum? I bought Briochin degreaser from a supermarket, its fab on soap scum and helps with a bit of calcaire to. Watch it near Aluminium though. Next time I do the shower I am going to try rainX windscreen polymer see if it helps.

Dont know as I dont use the showers, there are wall mounted pump dispensers with shampoo and conditioner in all the showers, the former goes down very quickly.

If I get in while its still wet its a doddle, up to a couple of days use and Netto window cleaner is fine, after 4 its vinaigre, scotchbrite, vinaigre flannel, window cleaner chiffon repeated a couple of times, by luck the plastic marble effect false tile wall panels I used dont show the calcaire one tiny bit, the ceramic tiled ones in the studios show every streak, same colour different texture/shine.

Did some Googling, I never knew that stuff was so strong, PH1 the same as stomach acid [:-))]

That would corrode away the alloy shower screen frame in no time, I will stick with my citric acid or the vinaigre ménagère which are around PH2, allowing for the logarithmic scale they are 10 times weaker yet more than powerfull enough to do the job.

For toilets that have been dribbling I use hydrocloric acid, like the Cillit Bang its far too strong to use around alloys.

With all the acid attacks going on I'm surprised that they can still sell it.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2004-3114+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

Contains sulfamic acid, formic acid and phosphoric acid.

There is something in Lidl called anti-calcaire in a blue bottle.  In the past, gite owners on here have recommended it.

Works well round taps etc.  But for large glass screens, I'd use vinegar from a spray bottle...easier to cover large areas

I use it for daily cleaning of the sinks and shower trays, the shower bar and riser etc, no more effective than anything else, we are not talking PH1 value acid like Cillit Bang or PH2 like citric or acetic acid, its useless on the shower screens, it will remove the calcaire but no better than glass cleaner but leaves smears that take several operations to remove.

Either of the acids I use removes the calcaire without leaving impossible to remove smears.