Microlights

Bob T

Anyone out there who is, or was, into microlights? I am considering buying another (I owned a couple in the UK once). I am also thinking of buying or renting some agricultural land as a landing strip in the perigord Noir. Anyone experience of that?

• 3 weeks later...
As there have been a number of views on this post, can I assume that there are other flyers out there?

I am now in the process of buying my own microlight, a UK registered Pegasus Quik, which I intend to re register in France. I will also change my UK PPL for a French one when the time comes. Has anyone else been through this procedure?

Jude and I are planning a small holiday in it to Malta next year, with Dave and Amanda. Dave runs a UK flying school here in France and operates from just north of Limoges. We will take two microlights and fly down Italy to Malta.

Good luck to you Bob. I have never flown anything that I have to sit in it when I land! I have watched them lots at Kemble and they look good fun.

The ones that I fly are as big as 3 meter span, radio controlled, gliders and as I have seen how I land sometimes it is better that I am not only the pilot, but also a spectator [:D]... If I get a big Ernie win then I am down to Salvasa, Carcassonne for my PPL!

If any of your trips bring you down this way give me a PM. Maybe we could meet?????

P.S. Definition of Radio Controlled == always radio, sometimes controlled [Www]

I think that any landing is good when the pilot survives. That means on RC it does not hurt to crash! When you are sitting in the thing, self preservation mode kicks in and you need to do it correctly. The one that I intend to buy is only an 8 meter wingspan, but 150 kmh cruise speed.

I am also a PPL{A}, but will only fly microlights now as they are much more fun. They are also much cheaper to run and train for. Thanks for the invite, in motorbike terms you are a nice ride away, but in microlight terms you are just next door.

• 3 weeks later...
Just to let you know that I have now revalidated my licence and have looked at a few second hand aircraft. 100mph two up is great, but I may have to settle for an 80mph aircraft with more comfort.

It just happens that the aircraft is French built and I am going to look at one in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks brilliant!

I'll probably never do it, but, if one were to..... what sort of money are we talking here to 1) get your licence 2) rent such a mirolight 3) buy/maintain one ?

I know that's a piece of string question, but just ballpark figures if poss.  Just interested if it could ever be a posibility for me.

The same (Dyson) colour as Judes bike, but mine is just silver.

Costs:

The license would cost around £1500 to £2500 for a UK one but I think that it would be loads cheaper for a French one.

An aircraft from the UK can cost as little as £1500 up to £25000.

Running costs are dirt cheap. Mine uses about 11 liters of 95 octane petrol per hour, at a cruise of around 70 to 80 mph. The pilot maintains the aircraft - it is quite simple, on the UK register an annual permit inspection is required at around £100, but not on the French register.

The fuel tank holds 65 liters, so a range of 5 or so hours is no problem.

We intend to take a holiday flying it to Malta next year, with stops in Italy. We will also take a trip to the UK if needed.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Oh dear!  I thought you were going to say loads more than that.  It sounds horribly do-able and I know there is an airfield and hanger less than 5kms from me in Pas-de-Calais.

Oh dear, oh dear...........

[/quote]

Lovely bit of kit Bob!

Pierre, have you ever heard the expression "I only open my mouth to change feet"? Even if you have not you have just done it peut etra ??[Www]

Change feet? Never! I've got both my size 48s in at the same time.

My only saving grace is that I've done a bit of Googling and the flight schools I've found say I'm too heavy to fly!

There seems to be a weight limit of 95Kgs and I beat that by at least 10Kg.

I hope Ryanair don't start charging for excess bodyweight [:$]

Thats strange. The Pegasus machines (Quik and GT450) have a maximum seat load of 110kg and my Air Creation Tanarg has a seat load of 120kg! Perhaps you should ask what ULM the clubs train on. I know a number of people over 110kg that are ULM pilots.

I think he's trying to talk his way out of this now Bob?[6]

One of my favorite aircraft is the one in my avitar. The Fouga Magister. I have one that flies very well. It's a glider too, radio controled (always radio, sometimes controlled?). It's a shame that the belgian air force stopped using their last ex Red Devils aircraft last year. It was lovely to see at the airshows. The driver is a smashing bloke too. Very interested that mine is a glider too.. I still didn't manage to blag a ride though!!![:(]

Very nice Bob! I flew in one years ago piloted by someone else and always thought these were for pleasure only, just circling an area etc.. never knew you could actually fly them at some distance. Can you really fly to the UK or Italy in it from Dordogne?  If so,  from Dordogne this certainly could be a very lucrative taxi service to and from the UK [:D]

Not seen Bob's driving, but as he said any journet that you can walk away from has got to be a good one??

As far as the taxi service is concerned it could be a long trip. Part of the holiday. 80 mph air speed,  20 mph head wind = 60 mph ground speed, i.e. how fast you would be going in a car. But 20 mph tail wind and you are doing the ton over the ground!! Side winds, well we won't go there. Too complicated for my brain cell?

The idea of going to Malta like that Bob, now that sounds brilliant!![:D]

For distance flying, the modern 4 stoke engined microlights would be great. I flew accross Canada, 3000 miles, in a 2 stroke one back in 1996, they only had a 55 mph airspeed in those days, and the engines used to stop quite oftern. With 100 bhp and an airspeed of 80 mph, the UK would be no problem. The wind tends to be in different directions with altitudes up to 10,000 feet so it would be easy to find a part tail wind somewhere, a side wind can give a tailwind component. The other thing to remember is that in a car at 60 mph one needs to follow roads, in the air you would follow a straight line.

There is no way that a microlight could be used for a taxi service as it is too weather dependant and I won't be flying in rain and snow! Microlights cannot be used for commercial gain either, it is illegal. A pilot can accept a donation towards operating costs, however.

SD may have seen some of my motorcycling videos, but I live to tell the tale, my driving can't be that bad!

Bob, I was joking about the taxi service, really. [:D] It sounds very exciting to travel that way and it would appear to me at least it could be quite easy as well, not having to deal with all of the other complications of plane travel such as air traffic control and airport landings etc.. It sounds as if you just need to know a field near your destination to land in, wonderful. Hope you are able to post a video link in the future of one of your flights like you have of your rides, would love to see it.

READ THE MESSAGE FIRST....

My Mother-In-Law always had an interest in flying and it was one of her  ambitions to get her license, she had started taking flying lessons a

few years ago and recently got her full pilots license . Last week it was reported that an aircraft made an emergency landing

near Roose Airport, I later discovered it was my Mother-In-law, she narrowly escaped injury in the aircraft she was piloting when she was

forced to make an emergency landing in a garden near the airport,  because of bad weather, and crashed.

The absence of a post-crash fire was likely due to insufficient fuel on board.

No one on the ground was injured.

The attached Photograph was taken at the scene and shows the extent of damage to her aircraft, for insurance purpose, I thought it worthwhile

of taking a copy for the album for future ref. Have a look it surprised  me that it could have been worse than it was. She was very, very lucky.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Pierrezfp/Crash_Evidence-Insurance1.jpg