The Ryder Cup

Gardian

Let me preface my thread by saying that I'm a keen sport fan, but not a golfer. Never swung a club in anger, but I've always followed the major events with great interest.

If Europe doesn't win this evening, the Press will tear Faldo apart. I just think that today's papers have been completely unjustified criticism and I really hope that the Team exonerates the Captain's decisions (particularly over today's playing order).

We'll see.   Anybody else interested?

Hi,

As an avid golf fan, I am distraught to be sitting here in France listening to Radio 5's (excellent) commentary and not being able to watch it. It is a magnificent competition but I can't help but shout when I hear all the Americans hollering and whooping for their players, before the hole is won or lost[:@].

My only complaint about Nick Faldo is that he seems to lack any sort of charisma when addressing the press. He  nearly alway seems to be lost for words. Having just seen the state of play, I fear the Yanks are going to wipe the floor with Europe, then we can sit back and wait for the press to go Faldo-baiting.

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]

........Nick Faldo is that he seems to lack any sort of charisma when addressing the press. He  nearly alway seems to be lost for words. Having just seen the state of play, I fear the Yanks are going to wipe the floor with Europe, then we can sit back and wait for the press to go Faldo-baiting.

tuppence

[/quote]

I think I know what you mean, but my guess is he's trying to think twice before saying anything, as he knows whatever it is will get misused somehow.  Although a fan, the good thing was that Sky at least played Frank Sinatra singing My Way instead of him.

Sad to say he will no doubt get a hounding, but the USA did play well - probably better than ever to win.  Some of our guys were misfiring a little, which no doubt he will be blamed for.

All in all, although we lost, it really was a nail biting event and I think it good overall for the competition itself - another heavy defeat and they might have lost interest in it?