inheritance

steve

hi all, we are in france now with the intention of living here full time in our own house and registering as an auto-entrepreneur.looking at forums im confused as to the law when it comes to inheritance and would be grateful for any help. my first concern is i have a grandmother who is terminally ill and near death ,in her will her assets will be split 3 ways of which i will get one third. there will be no uk tax paid as the amount is well below the threshold .will i be able to have my share or do the french authority's take tax or social charge from this,has any body had this case?. secondly , both me and my common-law wife of 25 years with whom we have 1 son of 19 ,need to make a will. this would consist of if either one of us dies all goes to the other,if we both go then all goes to our son, if we both went i see that under french law our son would pay no tax as our estate would be below the threshold but if myself or her went the other would be liable to pay a lot of tax at around 60% with only 1900€ allowance as we would be classed as strangers.is this true? again any info/links most welcome. thanks

Regarding the inheritance: If the deceased was resident in the UK, then the ESTATE (assuming that it is all located in the UK) will be subject to the UK inheritance tax rules and no further tax will be payable in France on your proportion of that.

Regarding the rest: the simplest advice would be to get married or PACSd. There may be alternatives, but you would really need proper advice before embarking on any alternative.

Suggest you see a Notaire asap. Common law wife is not a safe position in France, ¨PACS would be better if you have no wish to get married, but married couples get automatic rights. Its a minefield in France, I know from current experience and thank goodness we had french wills etc.

[quote user="steve"]hi all, we are in france now with the intention of living here full time in our own house and registering as an auto-entrepreneur.looking at forums im confused as to the law when it comes to inheritance and would be grateful for any help. my first concern is i have a grandmother who is terminally ill and near death ,in her will her assets will be split 3 ways of which i will get one third. there will be no uk tax paid as the amount is well below the threshold .will i be able to have my share or do the french authority's take tax or social charge from this,has any body had this case?. secondly , both me and my common-law wife of 25 years with whom we have 1 son of 19 ,need to make a will. this would consist of if either one of us dies all goes to the other,if we both go then all goes to our son, if we both went i see that under french law our son would pay no tax as our estate would be below the threshold but if myself or her went the other would be liable to pay a lot of tax at around 60% with only 1900€ allowance as we would be classed as strangers.is this true? again any info/links most welcome. thanks[/quote]

Hi,

I've answered this elsewhere.