velo-rail

Hi,

Just a quickie, we are having my sister and hubby coming to stop next week and are thinking of going on the velo-rail (confolons to manot) one day, we have checked they are open and are going to book in the next few days, has anyone been on it and if so what did you think...........any info gratefully received. Thanks Mel.

It's good fun but I hope you are fit or have some fit pedallers.

Two pedal and all others are dead weight - the cars weigh a lot and the first half of the journey is uphill. My pedallers who are young and fit were sweating buckets.

The gearing is not up to much with a single speed.

If you come up behind a slower car they are meant to swap cars to let the quicker one through.

You arrive at an old station and they sell you drinks and snacks and you get a half hour rest.

Take your own water and grub.

The return is fast as it is downhill and you are meant to wait for the marshalls to close the roads - but we sped ahead.

Great fun - get some fit youngsters to do the pedalling!

[quote user="connolls"]

Hi,

Just a quickie, we are having my sister and hubby coming to stop next week and are thinking of going on the velo-rail (confolons to manot) one day, we have checked they are open and are going to book in the next few days, has anyone been on it and if so what did you think...........any info gratefully received. Thanks Mel.

[/quote]

Is it open yet? Whenever I go past it looks closed.

I have no idea if the are open at the moment as they are quite far away.

You do have to book and it seems to me the proprietors just turn up to do each trip.

So you will not see the proprietors hanging around.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, all great suggestions about drinks and eats etc. They are open as we have emailed them, but as it's still "out of season" you have to book to ensure someone is there. Think about the old legs (well not that old) when we are peddling away on thursday !!!! Thanks Mel.[:-))]

I don't know the track that you will be using but our local velorail is on a single track railway.  Which means that whenever you meet someone coming the other way (as you almost inevitably do, even when it is quiet) you have no choice but to lift one of the velorails off the track - and they are seriously heavy, needing four people on average.  But it does make for a very social experience as everyone helps each other!  We have done it a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Hope you do too.

Doesn't happen like that at Confolens. There are various set start times that are about 3 hours apart. You choose one and book for that time (unless they are fully booked, so you book for another day/ set time that suits). Everyone is seen off by the volunteers at short intervals and as a previous poster says, if you catch up with someone, you swap peddle carts.

At Manot there's a super little cafe run by the velo rail volunteers who, once everyone has set off from Confolens, meet you at Manot and serve refreshments from the cafè. There are tables and chairs set up, and a donkey in the field! My favourite cafè in the Charente!

Some peddlers go on to Roumaziers, and the rest who are returning to Confolens have their carts turned round by the volunteers.

We've done it several times with adult guests and we've all taken it in turns to peddle (you can change seats in motion); great fun. But....I'd never do it by myself with young children who hadn't got the strength or stamina to peddle 7 kilometres (up a slight incline in places). It's a good idea to have a couple of fit young guys with you (4 people can sit on the cart comfortably - 2 peddle) then you don't have to peddle at all....ho hum!!

Good luck, and have a great time.

Well,

It's the day after the Velo-rail trip.......................Had a great time, only us booked in for the 2.30pm trip !!! really good afternoon out and despite only being us on the rail the volunteeer had turned up at Manot station to provide us with cold drinks and icecream etc.................we did need it by the time we got there as it's not an easy trip in that direction (it took us 1hour 15 mins), by comparison coming back it was only 50mins !!!!!!! We would recommend it for a trip out, but be sure your legs are fit for the Confolons to Manot trip !!

Good luck for any prospective travellers Mel.