My winter project ............

Bugsy

.......... is finished and ready for its first trial.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/P1000079.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/P1000058.jpg[/IMG]

Its a One Metre radio-controlled sailing yacht that I've scratch-built from a plan I found on the web.

The original plan is for a model 750mm in length but I blew the plans up by 133% to give me the one metre size that I wanted. Further details and photos, etc can be found here.

Beautiful model.

There was a gent sailing or attempting to sail a similar boat  last year at a nearby lake. There was very little wind and he was having trouble making progress. I was on the other side of the lake a kilometer away and making passes over the boat and straffing it with an Indian fighting kite then rising to 2000 metres and bombing his yatch, he was just staring he couldn't believe the kite could do so much in nearly no wind while his boat floundered. Mind you my kite weighed only 10 grams.

I can understand radio controlled models and the enjoyment making them but they give no feed back - you cannot feel what they are doing and the ebb and flow of the wind. I get asked all the time if my kites are radio controlled as it is near impossible to see the line as it is just cotton.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="sharkhunter"]Hi Bugbear, whats the green thing hanging from your aerial, surely not an Indian kite [;-)]

[/quote]

Thats not me SH, I'm on the jetty. The green thing is just a wind indicator made from an old burka. [8-|]