Learning to fly

Despite international language being English, you will need to be fairly fluent in French.

All training manuals will most certainly be in French, along with instruction. ATC will communicate in French for French registered aircraft. The list goes on but get a medical first, you can fly dual without one but if and when you are ready to go solo you are required to have it.

Pick a small licensed club with a grass runway, landing fees etc should be cheaper. It will be expensive!

Further to the sound advice that audio has given: It depends on what you want to fly. I used to fly group A aircraft (Cessna 152, Robin, Chipmunk, Firefly and more). I now fly microlights here in France as there is far less regulation, and cost. With a microlight you do not even have to have a radio fitted, so there is less to learn to start with.

Microlights are no more than 2 seats, but can fly from 75 to 200 kmh depending on type and budget, so are pleasure machines. Having said that Dave Sykes is flying one from York to Australia at this very moment, and he is wheelchair bound. His website is at http://www.soloflightglobal.com/.

Yes Bob T, I’m sure microlights are the way to go to get in the air relatively cheaply.

Another alternative is to buy a share in a group aircraft. Umpteen years ago I did this with a Rallye 150 (not sure if they still exist). In those days, this was cheap flying.

You could also take your PPL in the USA but this license will be FAA and not CAA so you would only be licensed for N reg. aircraft but this would give you the experience to take your UK/FR GFT.

BTW, do not even consider helicopters.