Device for viewing digital photos

mint

There, show up my ignorance just with the title!

Don't even know what these things are called but I am thinking of buying one for OH for Christmas.

Can someone please give me some advice as to make, price, retail outlet or on-line, France or UK regarding the purchase.

Don't want to buy something that's not value for money, seeing as I don't seem to be too clever with finding the best bargains.

Thanks a lot.

Do you mean a digital photo frame, Sweet? Or is it some other device you've seen in use... handheld or what? I'm confused.

Planning Christmas already... [:-))]... it's still the height of summer here, today anyway. [:D]

Sorry, guys, just really didn't know what they were called but, yes, GG, those are the things I meant!

If I told you what it was for, you'd know if these things are suitable.

OH is thrilled to see so many beautiful churches and other Romanesque buildings around here and he's taken photos of them and plans to draw them from the photos at a later date.

So, well, although it's early to plan for Christmas at the height of a heat wave (!), it's sometimes the case that if I didn't plan things well in advance I get in a panic nearer the time or I forget all about them!

It's the daze I seem to live in these days.

So, now you know what it's for, is there further advice that you can offer?

Sweet, OH gave me one a few Christmases ago, having loaded it with loads of photos I liked a lot, many from years ago which brought back happy memories. It was used a lot at first, was permanently on when I sat down in the living room, although less later, but still enjoyed it. It stopped working just a few weeks ago, and my OH hasn't been able to sort it out yet, although to be fair it was an extra-hectic time when we were back in UK this summer!

I haven't a clue what make it is though, or anything special to look out for. I think the guarantee was for 1 year only. Maybe if you click on some of those frames on Amazon, then read some of the reviews it might help.

I think you are wise to get started now, but my problem would be trying to find where I'd hidden presents months beforehand!

Sorry Sweet, I can't offer any personal experience. I've been planning to get one for about 3 years!!! [:$]  Everyone I know who has one has said how good they are... at first... and then they eventually stop working! In some houses I've found them a little distracting. I guess you have to buy a reputable make like Sony or similar if you want more reliablility, but I don't really know. You could Google "reviews digital photo frame" and try and work it out from there. Prices vary enormously.

I learnt of an intended present Xmas before last and expressed reservations.

Later bought a screen at a carboot to go on seat of car.

The arab thought it was a piccy display without relising it did MPEG 2 from a SD card.

Never gets used it is easier to use a Netbook or Portable or a Tablet.

The ones with WiFi connection do downloads a piccy at a time from the HD on the PC...oh my gawd...got a bout of "cabin fever" coming on ...just off to put my head under a dripping tap in the garden.[;-)] 

Thanks for all the advice, comments, thoughts, etc. everybody.

As explained, it's not for boring the pants off our visitors by showing them cute pictures of our dog and impressing them with views of the chateau and grounds (lol!), it's for OH to capture beautiful buildings on so that he could use them to do drawings from.

I guess, from what some of you have said, it should have the ability to download from the computer and I suppose battery operated would be nice as he'd probably do the drawings sitting outdoors or perhaps on the verandah in winter.

As even more of a technophobe than I am, he'd not want anything "fiddly".  I wouldn't bother except that I get fed up with his asking me to print out photos for him and you will have seen from Christine's thread on the cost of ink cartridges that that's not something I want to be doing if he's going to take lots of pictures.

Je vais reflechir ......even more than spending money, I loathe having useless things that gather dust which I then have to clean off!

Goodness, GG, the pictures need to keep still!  I don't know why he can't just sit outside in front of these buildings and draw them....

I'm sure you're supposed to "suffer for your art"; I mean go out in all weathers and put up with people sniggering about your pictures as they stand behind your back, making remarks!

[quote user="gardengirl "]Sweet, mine is electric - not sure if you can get battery ones. And it changes constantly - well, it used to before it died! Maybe there was a way of having stills, but I didn't find one.[/quote]

Aren't batteries electric?  [:P]

I'm sure you meant mains operated. [geek]

As the list of requirements gets longer (battery-operated, still pictures, etc) perhaps it's best if I just print the photos for him after all.

Now, I need to go back to Christine's cartridge thread and find out where the cheapest cartridges are to be had.

Not for the first time, Forum members have helped me to come to a decision.

Many thanks, everybody.

Those things are fairly simple backlighted LCD units.

So leaving an image on it for long periods may damage the screen.

Perhaps the new colour Kindle would be OK for long display of a static image.

Or print but adjust the pixel count to decrease the definition to use less ink.