Dog walking in Normandy

01gringo

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this forum, so please be nice!  Basically, a 4yr old German Shepherd has adopted us and I am looking for a book (or Kindle thing, or anything basically) about walks in Normandy suited to dogs, especially for a big GS that resembles a horse wearing a fur coat!  I've looked in the usual places on line, but believe it or not I cannot find anything (everything is no longer available!).  English would be preferable (don't say it, I know I'm a wimp!), but I am more than willing to translate it from french but it will take a while!  We live in England at present, but our home is in Orne where we intend to retire in 5 years time.  We visit 3 times a year (damn the recession!).  Many thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you.  Jayne x

I am trying to think how many people in my village would walk their dog and there were two, apart from us. One actually walked their dog on a lead and the other had a little yappie thing that he carried on his daily walk. I really cannot think of anyone else and that is a village of approx 2000 and there were many dogs.

Still I would hope that it would say on these walks if dogs were interdit.

Have you asked your local tourist office for details of local walks? Or your Mairie? In this area, there are a few publications with good, detailed walks, available from those sources. There may also be a walking group in your area so you could join that if they have walks planned when you're visiting.

I think hoping for local information to be available for your Kindle is somewhat unrealistic - not least because the Kindle wasn't launched in France till late last year (iIrc) so - even without provincial France's lacklustre use of the internet - being able to download the details of local walks may be a while away. [:D]

Enjoy your walks. [8-|]

There is a big walking group at St Cosme en Vairais (Sarthe but 3ks from the Orne) with 60-70 takers a week, many of whom bring their dogs.  Why not join a local organisation and pep up your French at the same time?  In the days when I could walk well I had a great time with our local lot as did Troy the wonder dog when he was still around.[:)]

http://www.randonnee-normandie.com/

Thank you all for your replies.  I will endeavour to comply with each and every one!  Can't wait to take Cain in April.  We do have an old trotting track in front of our house across the lane where we used to take our other dogs, but a German Shepherd needs two walks a day, for at least 1hr each walk!  Thank you once again! Jayne x