Fair Play

When the German cyclist began to overtake Chris Hoy, the only marvels were Chris Hoy 's spirit and the power of his legs. Were the Germans using some super tech as they finished in front of the French too. What about the Australian s in the women's race? Bloody hard work is what won the races and most of us didn't expect Britain to be doing so well and obviously other nations didn't expect this gutsy little island to do it either.

A couple of weeks being a long time in sport, many (of whatever nationality) may have already forgotten that, when a certain cyclist of British origin (OK, so he was born in Belgium, but his passport is as British as mine) slowed his bike to a crawl, and with it the entire peloton of the Tour de France, so that a bloke with a puncture could have a crack at retaining his title (as if....) the person who broke ranks and didn't seem to understand the unwritten rules of fair play in his own country's biggest national sporting event was...oh yes, a Frenchman.

I'm a lifelong cyclist, done loads of racing in UK and organised events too. I've followed all the cycling events in London 2012 with awe.

I've never heard such a load of complaining piffle. The preparation that's gone into this year's Olympics is unbelievable.

The only thing that Team GB have done "wrong" is to use better athletes, and that's so unfair, eh?

My French cycling neighbours are not complaining, incidentally.