1st loser

Chancer

I have always subscribed to the view that there is no such thing as second place, its the first of the losers, well thats what I was today but I am still very pleased about it [:D]

For the first time ever I entered our villages annual courses à pied organised by the local athletic club that I joined this summer. I wasnt very well placed in the half marathon that I did in September so decided to try the shorter 5km spring race, I crossed the line 23rd overall and 2nd in my class (veteran 2) - first loser [:P]

What makes it really special to me is that I can recall some 5 or more years ago the race passed outside my house ,I was watching all the competitors and thinking how much I wished that I had been sporty during my youth like my father rather than useless ,  had I been so then maybe I could have been like those running past me, as it was it was no more than a wistfull "might have been" dream.

How wrong I was and I now know that its never too late to start, in fact there may even be some benefits in doing so as my body has not been worn out like others who have always practiced sport, my heart always got a good workout due to me being overweight and unfit but still active. Everyone else my age is suffering from arthritus, joint and tendon damage, they say its inevitable after 50 years of age, in that case it will happen to me when I am 100 [:-))]