Growing things to eat

SaligoBay

Is there a kind of critical mass, where it's worth it (or not) to grow-your-own?

I tried to grow some lettuces last year, but by the time I'd bought a bag of whotsit to make the earth growable-in, then most of the lettuces got slugged, the 2 that we ended up eating were in fact very expensive lettuces!!

A couple of neighbours grow aubergines and tomatoes, but it really does seem to be an awwwwwwful lot of work for not a whole lot of return. Weeks of digging and planting and watering and tending for, I don't know, 10 aubergines?

Someone (British) told me not to use slug pellets because birds eat them, and it makes their eggshells too fragile.

The whole thing is fraught with worry and stress!!

What easy, foolproof Thing-That-Grows-From-The-Ground should I start with?

All advice welcome, unless it's too rude, although you'd have to try hard there

If I were you next year I would buy a courgette plant or two at market and a packet of haricots verts. Both grow easily in London, in 24 and I think they are thought of as Provenal so guess they would be fine where you are too although I don't really know what your climate is like?
Here in 24 I hardly ever water anything, just enough to establish plants that I prick out, and sometimes the seed drill before I sow small seeds; things must be very different down your way.
I never use slug pellets; the poisoned slugs are eaten by birds (and hedgehogs?) and cause death by dehydration. Blackbirds are particularly prone.
I don't mind digging but it's much less necessary once the soil is all right. Don't know what you bought for your lettuces but as you say it can't make sense!

My French neighbour's technique for a perfect potager involves rotavating frequently,no digging at all! They also use plenty of weedkiller and insecticide, but that's another story! If you are starting from scratch borrow a rotavator or ask a local farmer (assuming you are in the countryside) to plough your patch, you can then clear the roots of the weeds and brambles as you plant. I started my potager last year and it did really well. This year its not as good because somebody told the moles about it and they moved in and turned it into a warren of runs and mounds! The easiest crops in our area : courgettes and all types of squash, tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, garlic, green beans, peas, and MOST IMPORTANTLY parsnips (because we cannot buy them here).

John and Angie Moore (17)

We grow veggies suitable for freezing well and which don't turn soggy or lose their flavour when defrosted. So, plenty of runner and french beans which are fairly time and trouble-free. Radishes are easy and have been enormous this year and beetroot is doing very well too. We don't bother with tomatoes because we live in the main region for producing them and they are so cheap to buy direct from the serres,the same with spuds - too much time and trouble and the last ones we grew were tiny and such small crops on each plant. Cabbage is easy although currently we are getting smothered here with cabbage white catterpillars that can munch through a good cabbage in very little time. Courgettes are easy and can be used for so many things from chutney to ratatouille kept in the freezer. I would suggest you try a little of anything you fancy and see how you get on. We do not use any pesticides or slug pellets on any of our fruits,veg and flowers because I feel there is enough exposure to this poison already in the atmosphere and on the land here. My husband left a load of weeds in a bucket and forgot them so after the gales two weeks ago he found a nasty smelly bucket of dark green yuk - he then poured this round the courgettes and beans and it seems to have given them a real tonic with the courgettes suddenly turning into fat obese ones.