Ivy all over

dandaz

Hi

Whats that ivy stuff called it climbs tree`s and manages to go and root inside the tree and use the tree as a host....Then it has like flowers/buds or such like and attracts wasps and bee`s and little buzzy things...

I ask cos I had 4 trailers loads of it and it would be nice to put a name to the face...

Mick...

Thankyou for your watering replies btw....

Sorry Dandaz, there are about 30 pics in my big book, but none of them are in a trailer.

When you put your trees in, if you planted them in/with peaty type compost, it might be an idea to water them again now, unless you have had a bit of rain in the last few days. Even though theres a lot of dewey stuff in the morning, that peat can dry out very quickly.

Hi

This Ivy grows in England as well,the heads look like a fire-work expolding in the sky it`s common as out...Maybe it`s just called ivy....

I will need long arms to water my tree`s .....

It`s the first tree`s, I`ve ever planted I hope they survive....

Next time the post will be "b4 I plant my tree`s"

I`m buying a field next to my plot it`s about 2 football pitches do you think I should buy a rotorvater or hire one...?

Mick...

Hi

The terr are six foor tall and I just dug a hole and shoved them in......I may want to plant more tree`s if they survive....

Dave...I know what your saying, but I just want to dig it over and wander round picking weeds out....I also could do with a mini digger to dig out a swimmming pool foss septic etc, but that would be next to the tractor rotting away....

If I was going to live there it would be a good investement....

Mick...

A orchard would be nice...

BTW Went to buy a orange tree and they were about one foot tall......

Hi Mick,

I'd love a little tractor too, but its not worth me getting one and I live here. A neighbour may know someone who has both a tractor, depending on your decision about the field/s and a mini digger for the other work.

Re the trees. I don't know if you are in France at the moment, but if you are you should probably stake the trees you have already planted, if you have not not done so already. You'll know all about the fierce westerly wind we get in 17, if they get rocked about at the rootball they may not survive.

The land, well it's lovely to have land, but wandering around 2 football pitches picking up weeds is no fun, and it makes no difference to the weeds. You could have a lovely area of (hard)woodland, you will no doubt have been regaled with tales of how many trees Charente Maritime lost in the great storm a few years ago. You could have a huge orchard too, but someone else may know how much maintenance is needed to keep it nice.

It sounds great anyway, whatever you do with it, and if you want any more detail about the option I have suggested please ask - doing all this sort of stuff at the moment not too far from you.

Hi

No I`m back in Cornwall....The tree`s come with stakes so I think there quite sturdy as for the winds there out in the middle of no-where so might get blown around a bit.....I have a lovely big fig tree at the other side of the barn but I don`t think it gets enough light that`s why I decided to plant them where I did....

Last year we went to a place near Hastings where you can pick your own....They had cherrytrees/blackberries/strawberries etc etc the kids loved it [maybe better than Alton towers]....It would be great to have a smaller version...

mick...

btw... I like old methods, hard work is good for you....I have dug about 800m2 with just a pick already...

Pictured small but nice...

Hi Tresco

Where are you in 17 and are you ex-Scillies, or just fancied the username? I was wondering if we could start an ex-Cornish/17 group????

We have just planted 7 trees and 50 hedging shrubs, and I ache all over!!

Mick, it rained most of yesterday so your trees should be fine.

Angie

Hi, we are west of Cognac. We love it.

The tresco thing comes from a really idylic short holiday we had there about 5 years ago. It's very expensive to get there, and to stay there, but there are no cars on the island, apart from the few inhabitants cars, so it's very very peaceful. Tresco Abbey Garden is fantastic - that gulf stream effect again (we went in February). Before that we had a couple of days in Cornwall where we spent a whole day at the 'lost' gardens of Heligan, which were still under the process of restoration at the time.

43 trees planted, just under 100 to go.

hi

My next door works at Cognac ,it funny seeing all the vines in winter/spring looking like there dead then summer comes and everything comes to life......I have some grapes, but one bush is next to a privet hedge, that particular vine never does very good ,do you think the hedge is sapping all the good stuff out of the soil...?

Mick

I'm surrounded by vineyards here, but am yet to see one with any sort of hedge within, say, 4 metres of a row, so you may have to make a choice between the privet and the vine.

Your neighbours may spend the next year or so shaking their heads and doing that "pfoof!" (thats french 'phoof!, not English poof) if you choose the privet.

You do often see a small rose bush or other plant at the end of rows of vines - these are to provide an early warning of any disease ior bugs which might affect the vines.

Mick, it's the most fanastic day today, clear blue sky, the sun is steaming the dew off, and the mist is hovering above the vines. Hope it's nice in England for you.

Hi

It`s been a lovely sunny crisp cold day here....In Camborne there`s a massive cross on top of a hill this you can see from miles around..Every wednesday me and my dog run to the top we can see St Ives and right across the St Agnes and all the tin mines......

The Eden project have a ice rinc and we go skating tonight ,you pay once and get in all year round we tend to go when Cornwall is`nt overun with tourists....

The plants in the biomes are ace as well...

Mick