Path Weeds

Quillan

Ecologically speaking - a spade plus hard work!

For the gravel courtyard at our previous holiday home I used a Bayer 'desherbant total, tout l'annee'. It kept the gravel clean most of the time, but I was not totally happy with it's use.

MikeW (from the Charente, where it rained today!)

How about a flame weeder ?  Saves spreading chemicals around + they work well in tricky areas between slabs/paving etc & will kill seeds near the surface.  Googling 'weeds' & 'flame weeder' should come up with more info.

[quote]I need to kill grass and weeds growing through our gravel path. Is there a good weedkiller that not only kills the weeds but stops things from growing for a very, very, long time. The French name woul...[/quote]

I've used a couple of products both of which were pretty effective. The secret is to make sure you cover every square inch of the gravel, a tedious job! One is Fertiligene LikidAllées (the wierd spelling is theirs not mine) and the other was, I think, from KB and I must have used it all and disposed of the box so I can't remember the name. It was recommended by a friend and says clearly on the box that it lasts 12 months. If you can't read French look out for words like Cours, Terrasses, Allées and 12 Mois or Longue Durée. These are available in the hypermarkets and the garden centre shops (when they've put the Father Christmasses away) and are normally applied from about March onwards.

Liz (29)