how to get rid of lemon balm

Bobbykins

Hi, We bought a house in the Charente Maritime last year hoping to move over earlier this year but have had difficulty selling our house in England. We come across 3 times a year but find the garden usually about 2-3 feet tall, having cut it all back we find we are overrun with Lemon Balm. Does anyone know a good way of getting rid of this plant. Many thanks.

Usually fairly easy to pull/dig up - just keep doing it till all gone.

Mind you it's best to get it up before it seeds which will already have happened this year.

At least it's a chore that's made pleasant by the lovely scent!

If you keep some it also makes a lovely sorbet and you can add leaves to may cold desserts

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of when I was 13, 14, and 15.  My dad gave me the job of getting rid of our lemon balm.  Yes, it took three years of cutting the top growth back (thinking it would run out of energy in the end) then digging up the roots (thinking - no roots no growth)  yet it still took me three smelly years - and that was digging and cutting most weekends!

Not wanting to be down, but can't you just enjoy it, or find another mad teenager out for a challenge?

Margaret

I think it does take about three years to clear, I remember buying a house( in the UK) with lots of it in the garden, and we battled for 3 years before it all disappeared. The trouble I have with it is not only does it spread like wildfire but I don't think it is a nice lemon smell. I grow Lemon Verbena which is lovely and very well behaved.

lynarth