Cutting Back Rose Bushes

Oldie

I have 5 well established rose bushes in my garden. I do not know what

varieties they are but they have become straggly and unweildy. My

neighbour thinks they need to be cut back hard, but as I am definitely

not a gardener, I'm unsure of how exactly to cut them.

He says they should be cut back to about 20cm off ground level, but

that would leave just the bare wood. Is this ok? They are in very sunny

positions (in region 47).

Any advice welcome.

If you aren't a gardener this is one of those nerve wracking things, but cutting back hard rejuvenates roses.

I've seen roses cut back virtually to the ground and they have come back really well; much, much better than if left as they (yours) are.

I cut mine with an angled cut sloping away from the bud, but other people seem to just cut anywhere, and both methods work.

We had a real old wild type rose that had grown up on to the wall it was  then trained by the last owners .10 meters in both directions from the ground .

Because we had to re-point the walls it had to be cut back to save my poor old hands getting ripped to bits when I re-pointed.  

I left a stub of 200mm out of the ground and now after 3 months of the winter it has grown so many shoots that I know that come the march /April I will struggle to keep up with it .

Cut them back and don’t worry.

You treat the climbing variety differently.  But for your bushes, you could have cut them back a bit in November to stop the winter winds loosening the roots, and then as has already been said, prune them hard in March.  The books tell you to prune with a slanting cut away from an outward facing bud so as to try to leave the centre of the bush open and to use sharp secateurs to prevent ripping the stalk.  I remember watching Geoff Hamilton, on television, showing how to prune roses, when he said that he had tried doing it with shears as if cutting a hedge and also the secateur method and didn't notice much difference.  Whatever method you use they like it if you put lots of manure around the base of the plant at the same time, as it preserves moisture, stops weeds growing round the base and gives them a good feed..

There's me sounding like an expert, the truth is I didn't have a garden before moving here but roses I find are very understanding and perform for anybody.

weedon

My dad used to say that you prune roses twice a year. In November you pretend that they belong to your next door neighbour with whom you have just had a serious argument, and cut them back viciously, at least halfway down. then in February, you remember that they are really your roses and try to make amends by just trimming them a bit to get the shape you want. 

Hi just a quick, line about your roses. If your roses have been neglected, say over 4 ft, it would be beneficial to cut them right down though Not into the old wood. !Simply cut down to the "live" wood usually about 8 to 12 inches above ground level.As long as you can see fresh buds appearing this is fine. You can use the more traditonal method of pruning using sacateurs but i would personnaly be more brutal.

I Work with roses in the UK and beleive it or not we use a Hedge Cutter !! it saves on time and has Exactally the same effect as the more traditonal method......i think better.It would also be beneficial to use some rose feed this time of year, Its inexpensive and readily avalable.

Enjoy your roses..