What is it?

Just Katie

Last year I cut out some boarders in my garden and put bark on them then planted some plants. (As you do).  Late last summer I noticed a creeping plant (weed) creeping along the surface with no height whatsoever.  It's leaves look like a cannibis leaf with 5 things instead of 7 and each one not as long.  It also looks abit like flat parsley and I think in the summer it had yellow flowers.

Anyway this year it is everywhere.  I have large shrubs and heathers in the boarders which I hope will eventually merge so is it worth the pain in getting rid of this little weed or will it go away on its own when the big shrubs merge.

Madame Kat

Does it creep about on long runners?. If so it could be, Potentilla reptans (Creeping Cinqufoil). Does it look like this? I'm only guessing myself. Don't put it in your pipe by the way.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/cinquefoil.jpg[/IMG]

It's hard to get rid of plants that grow that way.

If you think it's bothering your shrubs you could have a go, but it's a spreader. It's in my grass here.

It's one of my preferred weeds as it gives a bit of ground cover round my young hedging plants. I just clear it away if I think it's getting too close and sucking the life out of the hedges.