Fig Trees

aj_dr

We have a fig tree in the gardn, about 2 metres high, earlier there where loads of figs which went brown and dropped off. The remaining ones stayed green and are now soft. Is it the right time to pick them?

aj

That's quite normal, the dropping of the earlier crop.

I wait for mine to change colour before picking them - they should come away very easily so you could test one of yours now.

I'm no fig queen, so other people may have different answers which won't make me weep like a girl out of shame and humiliation, honestly[:D]

Almost certainly picked unripe and tinned in syrup.

Plums (which I have been responsible for canning) and canned when they are still green and hard as bullets.  After canning they are autoclaved at 120°C, which brings on a lush soft texture.  For red victoria plums - just add colouring.

Ripe fruit when autoclaved just turns to mush and I guess Figs would be no different.

[quote user="aj_dr"]Thanks for your replies.......just one question. The figs you buy in a tin are green,,,,do they pick tham early and cook them?

aj
[/quote]

There are two types of fig tree, one has green fruit, one brown. Personally I prefer the green ones, somehow a sweeter flavour.