B***** weather

Iceni

Whoever said "don't come/go to the Lot in August" certainly got it right this year. Having had almost no rain in June/July it started on August 1 seemingly every day and now the temperature has been down to October levels for a week.

I ventured onto the veg patch this morning to find splitting tomatoes, rotting melons, yellowing cucumbers, mouldy raspberries, yellow but unripening figs, ripe looking but tasteless vine peaches etc etc All we need is hot sun for a few days then Di can complain about too much bottling.

Whinge over.

John

not

Exactly the same up the road John, and my grass (using the term loosely) needs strimming and it's too bl***dy wet to do that also.  But the vine peaches are superb, can't complain about those, really scrummy.

Still, plenty of apples and other stuff to play with - and in chez nous it's ME complaining about the bottling!

I have a fantastic crop of weeds, but I could have sworn it was once a veg. garden![Www] 

Seriously though, I can still (just) see the courgettes (or should that be marrows the size they are?), the leeks are looking good and the tomatoes are hanging on grimly in today's wind and rain. I need to separate and replant my young lettuce but can't, and I think the local rabbits are feasting on the cabbages[:@]

I'm sure the weather will improve next week - the schools open again[:)]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

I'm sure the weather will improve next week - the schools open again[:)]

[/quote]

Don't bet on it - (at least some of) the schools in St Cere refilled yesterday and today the wind, rain and cold are worse than before. We have a carpet of vine peaches to be collected when/if the rain dies down a bit.

John

not

[quote user="Rob Roy"]John, what are vine peaches please? I have never heard of them before.[/quote]

Smaller, harder and a bit cheaper than normal peaches. For some reason (fertilising ?) they are grown in and around vineyards though our tree is in a sort of hedge we inherited.

When properly ripened by the sun (what that, ed?) they have a fabulous strong flavour but ours look unattractive, all scabby and lumpy. Last year some were bottled raw with eau de vie and others cooked down as a compote and bottled with brandy. I prefer the latter method but you need a heck of a lot of peaches per bottle.

They are available on one stall at our local market but I have never witnessed a sale.

John

not

Hi  Rob.

I must be the only happy sod around (dept23)

I had a list of must do,s befor the winter comes, ref this Gite project we,re doing, and due to the really hot weather we,ve had for weeks,

I kept leaving putting up the 40ft barn gutters and down pipe,  I didnt want to fry in that heat  , well last week I had a nice sunny and warm day (saturday) and I decided to do this task,

a two day job as the first two rows of slates had to come off and be put back with the new guttering etc,

Well I finished the job at about 6pm   sunday and the rain started and its rained every day except tody,

What a test for the work done, and as for the timing, I couldnt have wished for better,

We,ve been picking and bottling and making mirabelle plum jam all to day, the kitchen smells great.

Happy gardening.[Www]