Help my tree is bleeding

Georgina

I have a lovely tree which I first thought was a eucalyptus (spell?). It looks very much like a cross between that and an olive tree. However I noticed what looked like blood all over it and, after dismissing the possibility of someone devil worshiping in my garden [:D] I decided that it was the sap.

Does anyone know what tree it could be and whether it is in trouble?

Georgina

[quote user="dunroamin"]could you do a ggogle search for the tree above to see if it is that one and if not try the kew gardens website or something like it[/quote]

Well it does not look like a desease, I am hoping it's this:

"Some species of eucalyptus, however, have a remarkable defense against insect and fungus invasions. As soon as an injury occurs to the tree, the injured area is flooded with a sticky red liquid called "kino." As the kino comes in contact with air, it hardens to a bright-red mass that seals the wound off from the elements and attacking enemies"

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

"Some species of eucalyptus, however, have a remarkable defense against insect and fungus invasions. As soon as an injury occurs to the tree, the injured area is flooded with a sticky red liquid called "kino." As the kino comes in contact with air, it hardens to a bright-red mass that seals the wound off from the elements and attacking enemies"

[/quote]

Some eucalyptus exude a red sticky gum it if the bark is damaged, e.g. gnawed or cut.  Not all, only some.  My reference book mentions E. globulus, E. resinifera and E. nostrata as doing thisApparently it has a medicinal use - to stop diarrhoea!

Here is a picture of it - it does look very like the tree is bleeding.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4IRNA1FLaAAekijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13185lg3e/EXP=1158579601/**http%3a//www.scottfray.com/photos/australia/images/articleimages/bloodytree.jpg[/img]

To quote the page I lifted it from:

"
Striking

red globules of resinous sap oozed profusely from the black bark of the

trees. This is a natural occurrence, but it looks for all the world

like blood gushing from a burn wound."

Here's the page itself: play the slideshow and you'll see more pics.

LillyPillyGully

Phil

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Georgina"]

[/quote]

Some eucalyptus exude a red sticky gum it if the bark is damaged, e.g. gnawed or cut.  Not all, only some.  My reference book mentions E. globulus, E. resinifera and E. nostrata as doing thisApparently it has a medicinal use - to stop diarrhoea!

Here is a picture of it - it does look very like the tree is bleeding.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4IRNA1FLaAAekijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13185lg3e/EXP=1158579601/**http%3a//www.scottfray.com/photos/australia/images/articleimages/bloodytree.jpg[/img]

To quote the page I lifted it from:

"
Striking red globules of resinous sap oozed profusely from the black bark of the trees. This is a natural occurrence, but it looks for all the world like blood gushing from a burn wound."

Here's the page itself: play the slideshow and you'll see more pics.

LillyPillyGully

Phil

[/quote]

Thanks for that, it was very interesting.  It looks like this might be what it is.  Very strange indeed.

Georgina