Overwintering dahlias and cannas

I would be grateful for any advice on this subject! For three years I dutifully dug up my dahlias in late autumn aand stored them in the attic for replanting the following summer.Last year I left a few in the ground and despite the severity of the weather they survived and are  still flowering profusely at this moment (31st )October!) Was I just lucky? Should I risk it again? ...and what shoild I do with my canna lilies that have just stopped flowering??? (I live in the north of Mayenne...)

Not sure about Dahlias, but my Canna i am leaving until the frost hits it to kill the leaves, then i am covering it with a pile of straw and leaving it in situ. My french neighbour leaves hers in the ground and the frost didn't seem to bother them. (She does protect them).

Louise

I have lifted my canna but mainly because I want it in a different place next year.  On 'Gardeners World' last week they lifted their canna - they cut off most of the growth and potted up in spent compost keeping it lightly moist over winter.  I've put mine in the shed to protect it from the frost.